Need urgent help to restore an outlook backup

Old January 20th 06, 01:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Dan Gruner

Default Need urgent help to restore an outlook backup

Hi All,

I have recently undergone a computer rebuild and as a result, backed up all
my outlook folders in a .psp file and burnt this to a DVD. Having installed
Win 2K on the new machine, I have tried importing the .psp backup file in
order to restore outlook to the previous operational state it was before.
When I try and load the file in, it comes up with an error message:

"File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access
the file"

I don't understand this, because I created the backup in the first place as
an administrator on my previous computer so why is it saying I do not have
permission???? I am logged in as an administrator on the new computer also.
I urgently need to restore this backup for my business, so any help and
guidance will be gratefully received.

Dan

Old January 20th 06, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You will need to copy the .pst file to your hard drive and remove the read-only flag from it before performing the import.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 23rd 06, 04:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Dan Gruner wrote:

I have recently undergone a computer rebuild and as a result, backed
up all my outlook folders in a .psp file and burnt this to a DVD.
Having installed Win 2K on the new machine, I have tried importing
the .psp backup file in order to restore outlook to the previous
operational state it was before. When I try and load the file in, it
comes up with an error message:

"File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to
access the file"

What's a "PSP" file? Outlook uses a file hose extension is ".pst". If
that's what you have, copy it from the DVD to your hard drive, remove the
read-only attribute, start Outlook, click FileOpenOutlook Data File,
browse to the folder where you stored the PST, select it, and click OK.
You'll now have access to all the data it contains.

For proper backup/restore procedures, see
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
--
Brian Tillman