how do I remove duplicate Personal Folders in the navigation pane

Old May 26th 06, 05:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
BillR [MVP]

Default how do I remove duplicate Personal Folders in the navigation pane

Try a new profile created via the Mail icon in Control Panel then open your
old PST and copy the items to the new one.

--
Bill R MVP
"SBN" wrote in message
Personal Folders appears twice in the navigation Pane in Outlook 2003.
They
seem to be associated with the same pst file.I cannot remove either since
the
remove folder command is greyed out

Old May 26th 06, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
SBN

Old May 26th 06, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

BillR [MVP] wrote:

Try a new profile created via the Mail icon in Control Panel then
open your old PST and copy the items to the new one.

Creating a new mail profile doesn't automatically create a new PST, although
it appears you believe it does. There will be no "new" and "old" PSTs for
the OP to copy between. There will be just the original PST which they can
use in the new profile.
--
Brian Tillman

Old May 26th 06, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
SBN

Default how do I remove duplicate Personal Folders in the navigation p

This may well correct the issue. However it seems like a lot of work to solve
an issue in which a single PST file is being shown twice in the Navigation
Pane. Surely there must be a route to de-select one of the instances?

Old May 26th 06, 11:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Actually, Bill is right, and therein lies the problem. Starting with Outlook
2003 (and continuing with Outlook 2007), creating a new Outlook profile with
a non-Exchange transport does indeed create a new PST file and sets it as
the default. That fact is the reason we have has this epidemic of duplicate
PST files as users fail to rid themselves of this default PST and migrate to
another PST and set it as the default correctly.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 26th 06, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It would seem so, but there isn't. This _is_ the easy method. The other
method involves hacking the registry, which has become nearly impossible to
do with Outlook 2003 and 2007.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 27th 06, 03:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
BillR [MVP]

That is blatantly incorrect. Try it for yourself and please don't jump
threads with incorrect information - leave it to those who know.

--
Bill R MVP

Old May 30th 06, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

Actually, Bill is right, and therein lies the problem. Starting with
Outlook 2003 (and continuing with Outlook 2007), creating a new
Outlook profile with a non-Exchange transport does indeed create a
new PST file and sets it as the default.

Well, now, isn't that special. I'll keep that in mind.
--
Brian Tillman
Old May 30th 06, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

BillR [MVP] wrote:

That is blatantly incorrect. Try it for yourself and please don't jump
threads with incorrect information - leave it to those who know.

Well, it never has for me before, but I certainly accept your statement that
it does/
--
Brian Tillman