Multiple email accounts Outlook 2007

Old March 30th 10, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Mark

Default Multiple email accounts Outlook 2007

Hi all,
I set up two email accounts in Outlook 2007. Clicking the Send/Receive
button successfully downloads email from both accounts. I can only send email
from the default account, however. If I try to send from the second account
I'm prompted for username/password and even though the boxes by default have
the same smtp info as my primary account it just keeps popping up the box
prompting me for username/password -- even if I hit cancel.

I thought that both accounts would use the same outgoing mail server; just
different incoming servers. I would like email sent from the second account
to have this second account's email address that recipients would respond to.
What am I missing?

Thank you,
Mark
Old March 30th 10, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Roady [MVP]

Which mail account type are you using?

I thought that both accounts would use the same outgoing mail server; just
different incoming servers.

What makes you think that?
Are you actually using 2 different accounts or just a single one with
additional addresses assigned to it?
Note that if you are going to specify a SMTP server from a different domain,
you'll have to enable and configure authentication for it.
See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/36

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

Old March 30th 10, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Mark

Robert,
I'm at the same office, going through a router/modem and using our local ISP
as the outgoing mail server.

Comparing the two accounts:

Under "User Information", "Your Name" is the same; "E-mail Address" are
different.

Under "Server Information", "Account Type" are both pop3; "Incoming mail
server" are different; "Outgoing mail server (SMTP)" are the same -- that is,
our local ISP's SMTP setting.

Under "Logon Information" the two accounts are different -- different "User
Name" and "Password" per respective incoming mail server; "Remember password"
is checked for both accounts.

Under "Internet E-mail Settings/Outgoing Server" the settings are the same
-- same username/password as specified by our ISP; "Remember password" is
checked for both accounts.

I've just noticed that hitting "Reply" to an email that arrived via the
second (non-default) account results in the same problem as trying to send a
new email message from that second account -- repetitive popups for
username/password and with nothing successful.

Thank you for further suggestions.
Mark

--
Mark

.

Old March 30th 10, 04:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"Mark" wrote in message

I thought that both accounts would use the same outgoing mail server; just
different incoming servers. I would like email sent from the second account
to have this second account's email address that recipients would respond
to.
What am I missing?

If the two mailboxes are supplied by the same mail service provvider, then
they'll likely have the same incoming and outgoing servers. If the service
providers are different, then both the incoming and outgoing servers will be
different.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old March 30th 10, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Roady [MVP]

So to recap;

Account 1
address:
POP: pop.domain1.com
SMTP: smtp.yourisp.com

Account 2
address:

POP: pop.domain2.com
SMTP: smtp.yourisp.com

If that is correct, then you'll have to provide a separate authentication to
the smtp server of your ISP as you probably cannot login using the same
credentials as for your POP3 servers. This is typical when the POP3 and SMTP
servers are not located on the same domain. Ask your ISP which credentials
you should use to authenticate against their SMTP server.

They can also set their SMTP configuration to trust your network so no
authentication would be needed. This is usually only done when this ISP also
is the one providing you with Internet access and not just a mailbox or
domain name service.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

news

Old March 30th 10, 05:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Mark

Roady,
Thanks for the response and for taking the time in your recap to more
clearly explain my setup. Yes, your recap is correct.

I'm not very knowledgeable about email stuff and am still confused after
your advice. I thought POP3 had to do with the incoming mail server(s) and
SMTP(s) had to do with the outgoing mail server(s). What's confusing is why
the SMTP info I'm providing in the second email account is not allowing the
email to be sent. Doesn't the email account we have with our ISP determine
the username/password to use when sending email? Isn't this username/password
the credentials needed to authenticate against their SMTP server?

I'm probably just not understanding the whole thing. Without changing a
single thing in either of these two accounts, I can delete either one and
everything works fine. Keeping both accounts, however -- and it doesn't
matter which one is made the default -- results in the second account not
being able to send mail (even though it allows retrieval of email from the
specified source listed in that account). Since both accounts use the same
SMTP server for outgoing mail, how come it authenticates for the default
email account, but not for the second?

Sorry for being so dense!
--
Mark

Old March 30th 10, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Mark

Brian,
Thanks for the response. Please see my reply to Roady, above. That should
help demonstrate my confusion about all this. I'm getting email from my
personal email account (mailbox?), as well as from my corporate email account
(my corporate mailbox?). I pay for my personal mailbox; corporate pays for
the corporate mailbox. I use our local ISP in our office for sending email.
-- or, at least this was how I was understanding it.
--
Mark

Old March 30th 10, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Mark

Default Roady & Brian

guys, thanks for your help. I apologize, but it seems to have been a password
problem for that second account.
--
Mark