Lost Address Book

Old January 15th 10, 01:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jethro Pull

Default Lost Address Book

Just installed Win7.

Outlook works fine in all respects except that I have no address book.
Contacts tab works fine so long as I manually use one of the contacts
e-mail addresses, Outlook seems to cache it for future use which means I
can start a New Mail msg, type in a partial e-mail name of a previously
used address from contacts, and it comes up.

However, the address book is completely blank and suggests I "contact
your Microsoft Exchange Administrator" to access the address book.

FWIW, in the services area, I don't see any Outlook services to start or
stop.

TIA.
Old January 15th 10, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Kathleen Orland[_2_]

Are you actually connecting to an Exchange server? Or do you have a POP3
account that's incorrectly set up? Did you go into the properties of your
Contacts and set it to show the contacts as an address book?

Old January 16th 10, 05:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jethro Pull

"Jethro wrote in message

Just installed Win7.

Outlook works fine in all respects except that I have no address book.
Contacts tab works fine so long as I manually use one of the contacts
e-mail addresses, Outlook seems to cache it for future use which means I
can start a New Mail msg, type in a partial e-mail name of a previously
used address from contacts, and it comes up.

However, the address book is completely blank and suggests I "contact
your Microsoft Exchange Administrator" to access the address book.

FWIW, in the services area, I don't see any Outlook services to start or
stop.

TIA.

1. I don't normally connect to an Exchange server. This is a home-built
Win7-64 bit Professional computer with an ASUS P6T motherboard and 6
GB's of memory ... a desktop at home.
2. Yes, it is a POP3 account that is probably incorrectly set up. I'll
check that.

Thanks for you help, Kathleen.
Old January 16th 10, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jethro Pull

"Jethro wrote in message
[...]

I looked at every setting on Outlook setup and it referred to POP3
except that it showed the Address Book as "MAPI", whatever that means.
When attempting a search in the "To:" field, it said I should open an
address book (the selection screen is blank) or contact my MSFT Exchange
administrator. BTW, this is Outlook 2007.

Thanks.
Old January 16th 10, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine

So what did "just installed Win 7" have to do with all this?
What exactly did you do to migrate your Outlook data and configure your
address book view after you changed your operating system?
Was this a new installation of Outlook?
--
Russ Valentine

Old January 16th 10, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jethro Pull

On 1/16/2010 9:51 AM, Russ Valentine wrote:
So what did "just installed Win 7" have to do with all this?
What exactly did you do to migrate your Outlook data and configure
your address book view after you changed your operating system?
Was this a new installation of Outlook?

Gee, I'm sorry I gave you extraneous information ... didn't mean to
waste your time.

I made a backup of data on an external drive, installed Outlook 2007 on
the new computer and opened the appropriate .pst file. Yes, it was a new
installation of Outlook that was required by the clean install of "Win 7".

Old January 16th 10, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine

No. Reinstalling won't help a thing.
We still need to know exactly how you connected the new Outlook profile to
your old data file and how you then configured the Outlook Address Book
Service in this profile.

--
Russ Valentine

Old January 16th 10, 10:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jethro Pull

Moved the .pst file from the external backup drive to
C:\Users\phil\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Selected Account Settings\Data Files and selected Outlook(1).pst located
in Personal Folders, as the Default file.

Old January 16th 10, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jethro Pull

On the issue of the Outlook Address Book Service, I don't see such a
service in my settings area. I see lots of services,some are running,
some are stopped, but no Outlook Address Book Service is listed so that
I might possibly be able to start it.