How do I restore gmail inbox emails that Outlook 2010 Beta deleted

Old January 2nd 10, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Imacountrygirl

Default How do I restore gmail inbox emails that Outlook 2010 Beta deleted

I used Outlook 2010 Beta for the first time today...first time I've ever used
Outlook. I added three email accounts, the default one being my personal
gmail account. After adding them, I read some of my emails...was thinking
how cool this was....when I discovered I was unable to log into gmail
accounts from my Firefox browser. I then deleted the email accounts from
Outlook. The only account affected by all this is my default personal email
account at gmail, somehow all of my inbox emails were deleted. Vanished.
Poof!!! I tried two different restore points and both times got error message
they had failed to restore. Any ideas on how to restore/retrieve the missing
emails? I'm on an Acer Aspire 5516 laptop, vista 32 os. Not sure if this is
the right place to ask, but I haven't been able to find any other way to
address this issue. Thanks for any help.
Old January 2nd 10, 10:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL[_2_]

Depends how you configured the gmail account in Outlook, if via pop mail
then all mail would have been downloaded to Outlook unless you set the
option to leave a copy on the server.
Restore points have no impact on data

Old January 2nd 10, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

I don't know if something changed in outlook 2010 or with gmail, but in the
past, leave mail on the server was not necessary for gmail pop accounts -
gmail ignored the client and used the settings configured in gmail.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Old January 3rd 10, 06:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Keenan

[...]

System restore points wouldn't likely help this - that's not the correct
tool for the task.

Can you find any PST files that would be the correct size and date? If so,
open them in a new Outlook profile and see what's there. Note that PST
files are helpfully kept in a folder marked as hidden, so your search needs
to account for this.

If that shows you the messages you are looking for, you can try re-creating
an Outlook profile with an IMAP account for gmail. Then attach the PST
file and copy the messages to the IMAP inbox, which is on the server and
will be available when you access it via a browser.

Changes made in Outlook won't prevent you from logging into gmail via a
browser, so if you can't log in via browser, something else is going on.

In all the versions of Outlook I've used, which don't include 2010,
messages are left in the gmail inbox regardless of retention settings in
Outlook.

HTH
-pk