adding news server in outlook 2003

Old September 26th 09, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gary Metzler

Default adding news server in outlook 2003

Hi All,

I am using outlook 2003 windows xp home sr3. I would like to know if it is
possible to add a news service like msnews.microsoft.com to outlook? If so,
what are the steps? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks,

--

Regards, Gary Metzler
send to:

Old September 26th 09, 04:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ken Blake, MVP

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:04:45 -0400, "Gary Metzler"
wrote:

Hi All,

I am using outlook 2003 windows xp home sr3. I would like to know if it is
possible to add a news service like msnews.microsoft.com to outlook? If so,
what are the steps? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks,

No, no version of Outlook has ever contained a newsreader. By default
Outlook will go to Outlook Express when you invoke a newsreader from
it, but you can use any newsreader you prefer.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old September 26th 09, 04:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

No, it uses outlook express or vista's mail. See
http://outlook-tips.net/howto/news.htm for other options.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:

Old September 26th 09, 01:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gary Metzler

Hi Ken,

thanks for the quick responce. How would I link outlook express to outlook?
Or, is that possible? thanks,

Old September 26th 09, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gary Metzler

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the information.

Old September 26th 09, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It already is, by default. The Go News command in Outlook launches your
default news reader.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 26th 09, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
It already is, by default. The Go News command in Outlook launches your
default news reader.

Actually no, it doesn't always. If you are using Outlook 2007 in Vista, the
Go-News command will ALWAYS launch Windows Mail, whether you have designated
another program as Default Newsreader or not.
It's hard coded....

Old September 26th 09, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Foldes

Gary

There is 3rd party programs that will do newsgroups in Outlook. Newshound is the
best of the bunch and works and looks like the newsgroups in Outlook Express

http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/news.htm

--
Peter

Old September 26th 09, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Besides the fact it won't work in Vista with LiveMail, many people can't
find go, news in the customize commands dialog.

The fix:
To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE (or mail) prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time
you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No
button.

Better is a shortcut on the start menu that adds /newsonly to the command
line (I'm not sure it works with LM.)

Old September 26th 09, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Right. But user was asking about Outlook 2003.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]