"New" OL PST file

Old September 22nd 09, 12:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Blake Kaos

Default "New" OL PST file

My OL2007 does not download any more messages and the error message includes
this text: "You could also consider using the new Outlook Personal Folders
file (.pst) introduced with OL2004 that provides greater capacity for
storing items and folders"

I am mystified since all my OL data and archives etc. are stored in .pst
files already. So why am I getting this message and what can I do to free up
OL?

Old September 22nd 09, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Blake Kaos" wrote in message
My OL2007 does not download any more messages and the error message
includes this text: "You could also consider using the new Outlook
Personal Folders file (.pst) introduced with OL2004 that provides greater
capacity for storing items and folders"

I am mystified since all my OL data and archives etc. are stored in .pst
files already. So why am I getting this message and what can I do to free
up OL?

There are two different formats for pst files - 97-2002 ANSI which is
limited to 2GB (in practice 1.8 or less) and 2003 UNICODE format (which
Outlook 2007 uses as well) which can be up to 20GB by default.
It would appear that your pst file is in the old 97-2002 format...
Your best bet would be to create a new pst file in the new format and set it
as default mail delivery location. You can then either copy all the data
from the old pst file, or, if there's a lot, just leave it open in Outlook.

Old September 22nd 09, 12:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Blake Kaos

"Gordon" wrote in message

Your best bet would be to create a new pst file in the new format and set
it as default mail delivery location.

What is the best way to create this new .pst file and how do I ensure it
would be of the new UNICODE variety?

Old September 22nd 09, 12:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Blake Kaos" wrote in message
"Gordon" wrote in message

Your best bet would be to create a new pst file in the new format and set
it as default mail delivery location.

What is the best way to create this new .pst file and how do I ensure it
would be of the new UNICODE variety?

In Outlook do File-New-Outlook data file. You will then get an option of
which format to choose. Choose "Office Outlook Personal Folders File". Do
NOT choose "97-2002" type.

Old September 22nd 09, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"Blake Kaos" wrote in message

What is the best way to create this new .pst file and how do I ensure it
would be of the new UNICODE variety?

And after you've created your new PST, see this:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]