Receiving email

Old September 15th 09, 01:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Hillary Mandell

Default Receiving email

I have a desktop which receives my email. I recently set up an additional
laptop elsewhere in the house and purchased Outlook to also receive email
from the same address on the laptop. I am not receiving email to the new
laptop Outlook, except for an occassional one, but they are still coming in
to the desktop. Did I do something wrong or can I only receive email from 1
computer in a house?
--
Thanks & regards, HM
Old September 15th 09, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Oliver Vukovics[_2_]

Hi Hillary,

your Outlook version is?
Did you "test" the settings for the email account in Outlook? Did you get
any error messages?

If you shut down the Outlook on the desktop, do you receive emails now on
the laptop?

Do you want to have all emails also on the laptop AND on the desktop?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...024431033.aspx

Check your settings with this Website:
http://products.secureserver.net/ema...il_outlook.htm

--
Oliver Vukovics
Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder

Old September 15th 09, 01:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Hillary Mandell" wrote in message
I have a desktop which receives my email. I recently set up an additional
laptop elsewhere in the house and purchased Outlook to also receive email
from the same address on the laptop. I am not receiving email to the new
laptop Outlook, except for an occassional one, but they are still coming
in
to the desktop. Did I do something wrong or can I only receive email from
1
computer in a house?

If you have POP email, then the first computer to download it will remove
the mail from the mail server so that there is no mail available for the
second machine to download.
The solution is to set both machines to leave a copy on the server. (In
Advanced Account settings).

Old September 15th 09, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vince Averello

The desktop is probably receiving the email then deleting it from the server
so the laptop won't see it.

I have a similar set where I travel around with a laptop getting mail, but I
don't delete it from the server. Every morning I start Outlook on the
desktop that then deletes it from the server.

Old September 15th 09, 04:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ken Blake, MVP

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 05:25:02 -0700, Hillary Mandell
wrote:

I have a desktop which receives my email. I recently set up an additional
laptop elsewhere in the house and purchased Outlook to also receive email
from the same address on the laptop. I am not receiving email to the new
laptop Outlook, except for an occassional one, but they are still coming in
to the desktop. Did I do something wrong or can I only receive email from 1
computer in a house?

You have two computers set up to receive mail sent to the same
address. One of them will get it first; which one depends on the
timing of how they check for mail. The other one won't get the mail
because it won't be there any more.

If you want them both to get it, do the following on both machines
(I'm looking at Outlook 2007 to tell you; in other versions, it should
be very similar, if not identical):

1. Got to Tools | Account Settings
2. Double-click you account
3. Go to the E-mail tab and click "More Settings"
4. Go to the Advanced tab
5. Check the box "Leave a copy of message on server."

However, note that if both computers are set this way, nothing will
ever get deleted on the server unless you delete them manually. In a
short while you will likely exceed the maximum space on the server you
use and you won't get any more messages. So I recommend that you do
not do this on more than one of the two computers. What I do is have
just my laptop set that way, so when I travel, I can read messages on
the laptop, but still have on the desktop them to read more carefully
and save if desired after I return home.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

email not receiving Outlook Express 3 April 13th 07 02:45 AM
not receiving email katlijn Outlook Express 3 July 6th 06 09:43 PM
Sending/Receiving Email Mark G Outlook - Installation 1 April 13th 06 02:19 AM
not receiving email The Gordons Outlook Express 5 February 14th 06 06:43 AM
Receiving email problem BichonMom Outlook Express 3 January 26th 06 02:22 AM