Hyperlinks not hyperlinked in long messages

Old August 28th 09, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mario Marzagao

Default Hyperlinks not hyperlinked in long messages

I am receiving a regular mail which contains many hyperlinks.
It seems that, when the message exceeds a certain size, only the first
hyperlinks work (colored blue and underlined), but they stop working
somewhere in the last third of the message.

I see this happening with messages with sizes of 129, 185, 210 KB. But on
another message with 43KB all the hyperlinks work. (I can send the mentioned
messages to someone willing to suggest a solution)
I don't know if the problem has to do with the size of the message or the
number of hyperlinks within. But if I break one of these messages in half
and send them to myself in two separate mails, both arrive with all their
hyperlinks working.

Any suggestin deeply appreciated. Many thanks !!
Old August 29th 09, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roady [MVP]

Which version of Outlook are you using?
Which type of mail account are you using?
In which message format is this message received?

If you copy and paste the entire message in a new email, fix the hyperlinks
and then send it to yourself, do they still appear broken?

A common reason for messages to become corrupted is by having a virus
scanner installed that integrates itself with Outlook. Disable/uninstall
this integration and try again.
See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

Old August 29th 09, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mario Marzagao[_2_]

Robert, many thanks for caring.

Which version of Outlook are you using?

Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)

Which type of mail account are you using?

POP3 (gmail)

In which message format is this message received?

plain text, I guess.

If you copy and paste the entire message in a new email, fix the hyperlinks
and then send it to yourself, do they still appear broken?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "fix the hyperlinks" because all the
hyperlinks seem ok to me. But doing copy/paste/send as you say, the problem
persists.
Looking closer, I see that if I take one of those non-working hyperlinks and
do a line feed at the end, the hyperlink activates.
For example, this link is inactive in my message:
Your pages: http://www.watchthatpage.com/watchPages.jsp
please note that, after jsp there's an invisible character. However, if I
insert a line feed either before or after that invisible character, the
hyperlink activates.
The same happens with this new example:
http://www.blogger.com/openid-server.g
If I insert a line feed after ".g", the hyperlink activates.

Also, if I send a very long mail to myself, with lots of long hyperlinks
(actually the url of this post), I receive all ok.

A common reason for messages to become corrupted is by having a virus
scanner installed that integrates itself with Outlook. Disable/uninstall
this integration and try again.
See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

I have now deactivated email scanning in my AV (Symantec) but the problem
persists

Many thanks again.

Mario
Old August 30th 09, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mario Marzagao[_2_]

Diane, this is some email that I am receiving, I can't determine how many
hyperlinks it will contain.
Also, as stated in my previous posting, I made a message with many more
hyperlinks and there wasn't any problem.

I also resent one of the messages to myself, changing the format to html and
also ro rich text, but the problem persists.

Thanks for your comments.
Mario

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

It’s the number of hyperlinks. Switching the message format might work, but
reducing the number of hyperlinks will fix it too.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Old August 30th 09, 02:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Text links pasted into HTML aren't 'live' until the sender enters either
space or Enter at the end of the url. For example, a list of links copied
from notepad or a link copied from the address bar are just text until you
put a space or line feed at the end of each line.

If they paste a link that is rendered in HTML (ie, copied from a web page)
it should be clickable.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Old August 30th 09, 05:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Foldes

Mario

The best way to disable the email scanning is to uninstall your AV and then
re-install it without the email integration(scanning) option
With Norton just trying to disable with the disable switch will not always (most of
the time )work. Use the Symantec tool below to uninstall Norton

Also read the following
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
Peter

Old August 30th 09, 12:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mario Marzagao[_2_]

Thanks, Diane. It sheds some light.

However, please kindly try to intepret: I receive a long message with lots
of hyperlinks. The last third of the message has lots of hyperlinks not
hyperlinked.
Then, I copy all that "innactive" part of the message, paste it into a new
message and send it to myselt. This new message arrives with all the
hyperlinks working (those that previously did not work). And I just did a
copy/paste, I did not add any space or Enter at the end of any url.
Why ??

Many thanks for your support

Old August 30th 09, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

What message format is the new message? Links in plain text messages are
interpreted by the client - a message with large numbers of links will
either be slow to make the links clickable or not all will be clickable.
Links pasted into HTML formatted message need to be made clickable, unless
they were copied from HTML.

Also - if html, the blue underline is added by CSS and can easily be changed
by applying a style. Don't go by looks when deciding if its clickable- hover
the mouse over it.

Old August 30th 09, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mario Marzagao[_2_]

Diane, the new message (the one that I am sending to myself) is html (my
default).
All the blue links are clickable.
Something that I forgot mentioning so far: I have received these long
messages with many links for a long time. I never had this problem of
non-clickable hyperlinks while I was using Outlook Express. Only recently I
installed MS Outlook, and only now I have this problem with MS Outlook. It
seems that MSO is more restrictive that OE in this context.

Thanks
Mario