Emails still stuck in Outbox Outlook 2007 SP2

Old July 23rd 09, 12:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Duncan McC

Default Emails still stuck in Outbox Outlook 2007 SP2

In article ,
says...

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
It's not a major bug - if it were, many more people would have problems
sending mail. There are 2 common causes - an antivirus scanner scanning
outbound mail and setting the send/receive settings under 8 -10 min. ( or
pressing the send/receive button too frequently).

With all respect and thanks for your help so far ... but ... I disagree.
This is a major bug and if you search Google there are hundreds (if not
thousands) of postings from people talking about the exact same problem. In
most of these postings there is never any resolution. Having email stuck in
such a core email application that is supposed to reliably send email is a
critical bug.

However, as Diane has said, it is not an Outlook bug. It is because of
the antivirus application, and it's integration with (any) email client
(ie it happens on lots of email clients).

It is typical of folk that try and send *large* emails (generally
attachments) with integrated AV running.

If you turn off your AV integration, or remove and re-install the AV
product without AV email integration, it will likely work.

If you are sending a 20Mb file - well... you shouldn't be.

--
Duncan
Old July 24th 09, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
scorpionleather

It could be an interaction with an add-in/third party program that I have
not yet been able to identify, but I have disabled almost all the add-ins.
My AV is NOD32.

I say it's a Microsoft bug because Microsoft allows these third party
programs to parasite themselves on top of Outlook with -no warning-
whatsoever that Outlook is being modified.

If Microsoft makes it so easy for any program to hook itself onto the
outgoing mail process -with no warning-, then who knows.. how easily the
outgoing mail can be infected by spambots or whatever other malicious
program wants to take advantage of this.

It all comes down to a security thing. I have an unreliable mail program
because some as-of-yet-unidentified third party add-in is botching up the
software. Outlook did not protect its critical files/functions.

e.g. Microsoft does not allow modification to core Windows System32 files.
So then why allow these programs to change the basic mail send function.

Old July 24th 09, 04:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

It's most likely NOD32... extensibility is not a bug. The programs do not
install themselves and only properly written addins can access the object
model without alerts, so the chances of a spambot installing and secretly
sending messages from you is low.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Old July 24th 09, 04:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
scorpionleather

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
It's most likely NOD32... extensibility is not a bug. The programs do
not install themselves and only properly written addins can access the
object model without alerts, so the chances of a spambot installing and
secretly sending messages from you is low.

Then Microsoft should make the function extensible which is loading the
Windows boot processes. you see what I mean..

Old July 24th 09, 07:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Duncan McC

Go into NOD32 and (in Advanced mode IIRC) turn off the email scanning
functionality). The NOD32 icon goes into "warning mode" (orange, IIRC)
- you'll just have to ignore that.

If you still have problems, try starting Outlook in safe-mode...
outlook.exe /safe

and see how that goes (it will disable all addins in one fell swoop).

--
Duncan

In article ,
says...

Old July 24th 09, 12:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Well, if you'd read the features before you installed it, you'd know it did
something so it can scan all mail using any client.

"Clean and Safe Email - Email scanning for Microsoft Outlook, Outlook
Express, Mozilla Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail, and other
POP3/IMAP mail clients, ensuring your email is free of viruses and other
threats."

Outlook != Windows. They don't compare. Each have their own security
features - if you tell windows its ok to install software that is all that
matters. If its not properly written to hook into outlook, outlook won't let
it create new mail or access your address book.

Old July 25th 09, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
scorpionleather

I disabled NOD32 email scanning. But that has no effect. There is an email
stuck in my Outbox right now.

Old July 25th 09, 01:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
scorpionleather

Let's say someone installs some freeware on their PC which looks innocent
enough. But it also places an add-in in Outlook that is "properly written
to hook into Outlook" and it modifies all outgoing emails to insert a spam
message.

What is to prevent that?

It's a security loophole because Windows never warns during installation
that an Office app is being modified.

I am surprised that I get these iTunes add-ins etc. inside Outlook. I don't
want that iTunes parasite inside my email client. The Apple installer never
asks me. Windows never pops up any warning that another application is
being "cross-infected."

The same way iTunes does this - malicious apps can also do the same.

Old July 25th 09, 04:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

If iTunes is a parasite, why do you use it?

Freeware (or shareware) that sends spam will be well know within a few days
to weeks after release - which you'd discover if you'd do due diligence
(google search for reviews is usually enough) before download.

Old July 25th 09, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
scorpionleather

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
If iTunes is a parasite, why do you use it?

I am ok with iTunes as a standalone application, but why should iTunes, or
any app, be allowed to modify a Microsoft app -without any notice- that it
is doing such modification to the Microsoft app.