Auto Archive

Old February 4th 06, 09:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Newsgroups

Default Auto Archive

Hello

I have just changed from OE to Outlook and have imported my emails.

As I understand it, Auto Archive uses the last modified date to move emails
to the archives.

Unfortunatley, many of my emails now show "none" as the modified date and
when I run the AutoArchnive function, the folders are created but the emails
are not moved.

Is there a way around this. My emails folder size is currently at approx
300mb!!

Thanks, Rob

Old February 4th 06, 10:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

Newsgroups wrote:
Hello

I have just changed from OE to Outlook and have imported my emails.

As I understand it, Auto Archive uses the last modified date to move
emails to the archives.

Unfortunatley, many of my emails now show "none" as the modified date
and when I run the AutoArchnive function, the folders are created but
the emails are not moved.

Is there a way around this. My emails folder size is currently at
approx 300mb!!

Thanks, Rob

Not really - what you /should/ have done, is export from OE to Outlook. That
would have kept the "modified dat" as the original. You /could/ delete the
pst file and re-do it, if you still have the data in OE.....

Old February 4th 06, 10:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SgtRich

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:29:40 GMT, "Newsgroups"
wrote:

Hello

I have just changed from OE to Outlook and have imported my emails.

As I understand it, Auto Archive uses the last modified date to move emails
to the archives.

Unfortunatley, many of my emails now show "none" as the modified date and
when I run the AutoArchnive function, the folders are created but the emails
are not moved.

Is there a way around this. My emails folder size is currently at approx
300mb!!

No, no way around it. You'll have to archive manually. It's really not
that hard to move a lot of messages at one time, folder by folder.
--
SgtRich
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Old February 4th 06, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Newsgroups

Thanks for the info guys.

However, if I export the files again from OE now, will they duplicate or
overwrite the ones already in and give me the dates?

Thanks Rob

Old February 4th 06, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

Newsgroups wrote:
Thanks for the info guys.

However, if I export the files again from OE now, will they duplicate
or overwrite the ones already in and give me the dates?

Thanks Rob

Create a new pst file, set it as the default (in Control Panel-Mail), remove
the original pst file (in the same place) and then export from OE.

HTH

Old February 4th 06, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Newsgroups

But that way I will lose all of the mails received since the 18 Jan which is
the day I changed to Outlook.

Is moving the old emails from one folder to another the same as Archiving or
does that use compression to reduce the size of the archive.

If I move the old files and then later perfom the AutoArchive to the same
folders, will the emails end up in the same folders.

ie Emails in the Caravan Folder are the same whether from moved files or
Archived

Hope this makes sense. Never tried to archive messages before and I am new
to Outlook.

Thanbks again

Rob

Old February 5th 06, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]

Archiving is the same as moving. There's no compression performed or
anything like that. If you want to keep the messages you've received since
you did the first import of the OE messages, you can follow Gordon's
suggestion of creating a new .PST file and making it the default so you can
export the old OE messages to it, but keep the old .PST file as well and then
just move any newer messages from it to the new .PST.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

Old February 5th 06, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
KathrynBassett

This is an addendum to Jocelyn's advice, for once you get everything
you want where you want it in your pst. I have thousands of messages in
tons of folders and my pst was getting huge. IMake a new outlook file
and call it (for example) clientspre2006.pst. With both outlook.pst and
clientspre2006.pst open, drag all your client folders from outlook.pst
to clientspre2006.pst and then start new client folders in outlook.pst.
Same with any other major group of emails. I have one for the genealogy
program I use, for one specific client as well as the general client
one, and a couple other things. I've never had anything show up in
Archive folder (don't know why but suspect due to the way I have my
folders arranged). I don't care, because using my method works well for
me.

There is supposedly some way to compress/optimize the main pst to get
rid of the bloat, but I don't remember how and can't find it at the
moment.

Old February 6th 06, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]

You can compress a .PST file from its Properties dialog (right click the root
folder, click Properties, Advanced, Compact Now)...but you will only really
notice a size difference if there is enough white space in the file to get
rid of by compressing. Emptying the Deleted Items folder before compressing
is a very good idea.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

Old February 7th 06, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
KathrynBassett

Thanks, I'd look all over for that sucker! And you are right, it didn't
do me any good. 414673 before and after compacting.