Outlook 2007/Vista 64/ "Cannot open the Outlook Window"

Old June 6th 09, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JGJBC

Default Outlook 2007/Vista 64/ "Cannot open the Outlook Window"

Dude, you ARE the man! Thank you so much! I'm running McAfee, and hadn't
installed anything and all of a sudden got the message, too. Tried most
everything then came to MS's site and found your post, ran the outlook.exe
/resetnavpane and BAM! Outlook was working again! Again, thanks so much. I,
too, was resisting a full rebuild.

John

"Dan Thomas" wrote:

Ok mate, I got it going...

Now this is a bit vague because I was trying to reset everything but the
process was:

1) Removed my ost (yes I'm using exchange) - well I renamed it
outlook.ost.old in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and
renamed my archive folder in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
2) Uninstalled all addins
3) found this page and started playing with no success
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6865&p=1&ntf=1

... UNTIL I ran Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Clears and regenerates the Navigation Pane for the current profile. Removes
all Shortcuts and Favorite Folders. Has the same effect as deleting
profilename.xml in your user directory.

After this, I was able to get back into outlook!

The only clue as to why this may have worked is because when I got the
problem, another XML file on my machine (required to run one of my
development programs) had also become corrupted - I can only guess that
perhaps the profilename.xml possibly became corrupted in a similar kind of
way...

I'm really sorry I cannot give any more detail: I've been effectively
button-mashing (ok, running varous command-line switches mainly to do with
"cleaning" stuff) but it only worked once this switch was executed.

It may be a combination or specifically this switch, but I hope this
provides a little bit of a clue...

-- Dan

"CliffB" wrote:

Since I have a second machine, I have been living with the issue on my Vista
machine. I have not heard any 'fixes' although it seems there are more
reports like ours.

Resisting a complete rebuild ...

Cliff

"CliffB" wrote:

Unable to start Outlook; rcv dialog "Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook;
Cannot open the Outlook Window". Error occurred AFTER a Norton 2009 "idle
time scan" hang DURING an Outlook send/receive that was apparrently hung due
to Norton.

I have attempted several published fixes including Scanpst,
DeleteOutlookProfiles, running Outlook with /safe switch (same error),
uninstall/reinstall Outlook, turning Norton 2009 off during my process, etc.

On reinstall (after running DeleteOutlookProfiles), I create a new profile
and a new Outlook PST ... still receive the "cannot open..." error.

Any further suggestions - hopefully short of resorting to my recovery image?

Thanks,

Cliff

Old June 6th 09, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Target Drone

Thank you very, very much!

I don't know why the "Office diagnostics" can't solve this, nor why so many
people seem to be hitting this bug recently (perhaps a Vista 64 update made
it hiccup?) But whatever, you found the magic and shared it with the rest of
us, so thanks again!

John

Old June 10th 09, 05:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jvdh26

I also have Outlook 2007 running and had the same error occurring. I'm not
running Vista but XP, but your suggestion to run Outlook.exe /resetnavpane
fixed it instantly. My system was running fine prior. The only thing was my
system had been taken down the last few days by power outages.

Thank you for posting this as I was not looking forward to all the other
suggestions that numerous others had tried.

Old June 11th 09, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
lee

Dan Thomas! Thank you so much! Stupid #%$&!*^ outlook ruined my day, and I
came across this post! All I can say is Thank you.

Old June 12th 09, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
PeterE

Hi Dan,

where do I type in outlook.exe/resetnavpane ?? I tried it at the command
prompt, but no luck. It seems like everyone else knows where to use this
command, but I do not.

Thanks for your help,
Peter

Old June 12th 09, 06:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JimF

Hi PeterE
You use the command prompt but have to use chdir command to go to the same
directory as the Outlook.exe file and then type in outlook.exe/resetnavpane.

Old June 12th 09, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
PeterE

Hi Jim,
I do not know how to use chdir. I typed it in at the command prompt, and it
brings me back to the same place I started. Is there something else I should
be doing?
Thanks

Old June 14th 09, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
barbotus

Dan,
This was extremely helpful. I found this string first and was back up in
less than 5 minutes! Excellent work!

Old June 27th 09, 12:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Tom Jelen tomjelenlandscapes@comcast.[_2_]

Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

appears to have resolved the problem.
start paste and hit run

but when trying to open a new mail I now get the message that I do not have
the appropriate premission to do that operation

wow what idiot wrote the office program? its just a fancy way to send
email made difficult and I was stupid enough to purchase this program .
next time Im pruchasing an apple and throwning all this microsoft crap away
I have had it