Outlook 2007/Vista 64/ "Cannot open the Outlook Window"

Old May 20th 09, 03:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
CliffB

Default Outlook 2007/Vista 64/ "Cannot open the Outlook Window"

You are 'The Man'!

This is farther into Windows stuff than I usually go ... profilename.xml was
not something of which I was aware.

Outlook.exe /resetnavpane appears to have resolved the problem.

Thanks VERY Much!

CliffB

"Dan Thomas" wrote:

Ok mate, I got it going...

Now this is a bit vague because I was trying to reset everything but the
process was:

1) Removed my ost (yes I'm using exchange) - well I renamed it
outlook.ost.old in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and
renamed my archive folder in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
2) Uninstalled all addins
3) found this page and started playing with no success
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6865&p=1&ntf=1

... UNTIL I ran Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Clears and regenerates the Navigation Pane for the current profile. Removes
all Shortcuts and Favorite Folders. Has the same effect as deleting
profilename.xml in your user directory.

After this, I was able to get back into outlook!

The only clue as to why this may have worked is because when I got the
problem, another XML file on my machine (required to run one of my
development programs) had also become corrupted - I can only guess that
perhaps the profilename.xml possibly became corrupted in a similar kind of
way...

I'm really sorry I cannot give any more detail: I've been effectively
button-mashing (ok, running varous command-line switches mainly to do with
"cleaning" stuff) but it only worked once this switch was executed.

It may be a combination or specifically this switch, but I hope this
provides a little bit of a clue...

-- Dan

"CliffB" wrote:

Since I have a second machine, I have been living with the issue on my Vista
machine. I have not heard any 'fixes' although it seems there are more
reports like ours.

Resisting a complete rebuild ...

Cliff

"CliffB" wrote:

Unable to start Outlook; rcv dialog "Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook;
Cannot open the Outlook Window". Error occurred AFTER a Norton 2009 "idle
time scan" hang DURING an Outlook send/receive that was apparrently hung due
to Norton.

I have attempted several published fixes including Scanpst,
DeleteOutlookProfiles, running Outlook with /safe switch (same error),
uninstall/reinstall Outlook, turning Norton 2009 off during my process, etc.

On reinstall (after running DeleteOutlookProfiles), I create a new profile
and a new Outlook PST ... still receive the "cannot open..." error.

Any further suggestions - hopefully short of resorting to my recovery image?

Thanks,

Cliff

Old May 21st 09, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Middle Child

Your suggestion: 'UNTIL I ran Outlook.exe /resetnavpane' worked very well for
me.
Thank you very Much!

Old May 27th 09, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
ChadH

i am running Outlook 2007 and ran into this issue today for no apparent
reason. I rebooted my machine after a short internet outage, and BAM! "Cannot
open outlook..."

Under deadline, I Frantically started Googling the problem finding that most
people were donig uninstalls, system restores, and many other time consuming
cannibalistic things to try and fix the issue.

Then I found this post... within 10 seconds of reading and typing
Outlook.exe /resetnavpane i was back in business without the headache of
smoking 1/2 my machine to fix the problem.

Dan... the next time I am out at the pub, i will raise a glass for you my
friend.

Thank you very much.

ChadH

Old May 28th 09, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
MikeDE

Dan,
You sure saved my sanity with this solution. Great find. Thanks!

Old May 30th 09, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
FishSlapper

Dan, you are a steely-eyed, missile man! I was approaching 24 hours of being
into this problem (i.e. "Cannot open the Outlook Window"), when I found this
thread. I am running Outlook 2007/Vista 32/Ultimate/, and started getting
that message after a system hang yesterday. Like Cliff and others, I had
tried EVERYTHING to get this fixed, but nothing solved the problem, until I
found your post, Dan. So, as you suggested, I ran: "Outlook.exe
/resetnavpane" and it fixed my Outlook problem too! Thank you very much for
posting the problem (Cliff) and the solution (Dan).

Regards,
Old May 30th 09, 09:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nurgle

Dan,

Same issue this morning, out of the blue, no reason why, works fine on my
wife's log in,cannot open on mine. used your resetnavpane and all sorted!

many regards

Old June 1st 09, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
dejanr

Same issue on my father's computer, outlook.exe /resetnavpane cured
it.

It probably happened after Vista SP2 installed.
Old June 2nd 09, 03:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
CliffB

Not completely, the original problem was reported prior to installing Vista
SP2. That being said ... it may very well be a 'recent' update that is also
in SP2.

Cliff