question on rules on unattended mailbox

Old March 16th 09, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gary

Default question on rules on unattended mailbox

I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.

sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
message.

I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain user,
but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended mailbox to
process its rules?

Old March 16th 09, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F.H. Muffman

I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.

sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
message.

I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain
user, but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended
mailbox to process its rules?

Maybe.

If the rules are server based, then no.

If the rules are client based, then yes.

When you create a rule, if it says 'This rule is a client-only rule, and
will process only when Outlook is running.' then it is a client-only rule.
Also, client-only rules say '(client-only)' in the list of rules.

--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP

Old March 16th 09, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

if you are getting an NDR, its probably not the rule. What does the NDR say
is wrong?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old March 16th 09, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gary

"F.H. Muffman" wrote in message
.com...
I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.

sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
message.

I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain
user, but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended
mailbox to process its rules?

Maybe.

If the rules are server based, then no.

If the rules are client based, then yes.

When you create a rule, if it says 'This rule is a client-only rule, and
will process only when Outlook is running.' then it is a client-only rule.
Also, client-only rules say '(client-only)' in the list of rules.

--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP

I don't see anything about client-only.
I have Outlook 2007 (connected to exchange 2003) and I right-click on the
message and select "Create Rule".
so I guess that is a client-only rule, but I do not see how to tell for
certain.

if that is client only, ow do I create a server based rule in outlook 2007?

gary

Old March 16th 09, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F.H. Muffman

[...]

If the rule doesn't say 'client only' at the end of the rule, then it shouldn't
be a client side rule.

Does the rule not work unless Outlook is running? What's the full text of
the rule (minus any email addresses)?

--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP

Old March 16th 09, 07:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gary

actually, I want the rule to forward the NDR to another mailbox.

this particular mailbox is used to send out emails to some customers.

sometimes it receives NDRs because the email is wrong or mailbox is full,
etc.

my bosses want someone outside the IT department to see these NDRs, but do
not want those persons to have access to the mailbox (don't ask).

so I thought a rule to forward all the NDRs to another mailbox would be the
solution, but havent gotten it to work yet.

I am hoping I can create a rule in this unattended mailbox, and have it
work.

because currently the only way anyone sees the emails that come to this
mailbox is when they have it as a secondary mailbox and see it under their
mailbox in outlook.

gary