"New Letter to Contact" command

Old February 24th 09, 11:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
RichT

Default "New Letter to Contact" command

In Outlook 2003, if I select "New Letter to Contact" command, a "Letter
Wizard" dialogue box opens. In a drop-down box, I can select one of several
letter templates. Is there a way to add my own custom templates to that drop
down list?

Old February 24th 09, 11:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Yes, but not an easy one.
To send a Form Letter or use a Custom Template for a new letter to a
Contact, you can use the Letter wizard invoked with the Actions... New
Letter to Contact.

For your custom letter template to appear in the list of Page Designs in the
Microsoft Word Letter Wizard, the letter templates you create must be saved
in the "Letters & Faxes folder Word 97) or the Templates\1033 folder (Word
2000 or 2002). The word "Letter" must be in the file name. Details he
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q181/2/73.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q197/3/40.ASP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q210884
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q291186

Once you have set up your Custom Template(s) you should see it as a choice
when you use the New Letter to Contact option in Outlook.

You cannot load boilerplate text in the body of the letter template. You
must create AutoText entries for the boilerplate. The easiest
thing to do would be to create one template and load the text for each
letter under its own style -- see KB article Q170342 (WD97) or Q207925
(OL2000).

Take a look here for some other ways to merge Contact data to a new letter
to a Contact:
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/startletter.htm
--
Russ Valentine