Attachments only open in safe mode

Old November 25th 08, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
BobS[_2_]

Default Attachments only open in safe mode

One of the computers in our office can only open attachments in safe mode.
Windows XP & Outlook 2007. It is a co-worker who says it's been like that
for several weeks now. I did a search and learned that Google desktop has
created this problem in Outlook 2003 but he does not have that software
installed. We've run Office Diagnostics which shows no problems. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old November 25th 08, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

what other addins are installed? Go to tools, trust center, addins to see.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old November 25th 08, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
BobS[_2_]

Thank you for your reply!

Active Add-ins:
Business Contact Manager for Outlook
Microsoft Exhange Unified Messaging
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Colleague Import Add-in
Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service
PDRMOutlook
Windows Search Email Indexer

Inactive Add-ins
Microsoft Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publishing
Microsoft VBA for Outlook Addin

Old November 25th 08, 11:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH[_2_]

BobS wrote:

Diane Poremsky wrote ...

BobSwrote ...

[...]

Outlook's safe mode will disable both add-ons and COM add-ins
(extensions). However, not all extensions might be listed in the COM
Add-in Manager inside of Outlook. If Outlook runs properly in its safe
mode, an add-on or extension is causing the problem. If all add-ons are
disabled and Outlook is started normally and the problem appears, it is
an extension causing the problem.

Outlook's safe mode disable *both* add-ons and extensions (COM add-ins).
Disabling all add-ons and starting Outlook normally will still have the
extensions enabled.

If disabling all add-ons and starting Outlook normally gets rid of the
problem, start enabling the add-ons one at a time. Enable one, restart
Outlook, and retest. Repeat for each add-on until the problem
reappears. The prior reenabled add-ons is the culprit.

If it is an extension causing the problem, you can do the same
enable-one-at-a-time testing that you did with add-ons. However, if all
add-ons and COM add-ins (that are listed) are disabled when you start
Outlook normally and the problem remains then the problem is with an
extension not listed in Outlook. You'll have to look at Add/Remove
Programs to see what software interrogates the e-mail traffic or
modifies or adds to Outlook's behaviors. For example, AttachmentOptions
from Slovak doesn't show up as a COM add-in, so to get it out of your
environment during testing means having to uninstall it.

Any file indexing program can lockup the database file(s) used by
Outlook. That includes Microsoft's Search. Uninstall it to see if it
causes the problem, or configure it to NOT include indexing of e-mail
contents. Then retest.

What anti-virus software is used by this problematic client? Have you
tried disabling the extraneous e-mail scanning in the anti-virus
software? Sometimes that is not sufficient (as the e-mail traffic will
still pass through their traffic proxy) and you have to uninstall the
anti-virus software and then do a custom install where to deselect the
e-mail scanning feature. Some anti-virus products work like a mail
server rather than a transparent proxy: they accept the e-mail as though
the server or client had accepted it, interrogate it, and then pass it
on. Also check for anything else that interrogates this user's e-mail
traffic, like anti-spam and anti-malware programs.
Old November 26th 08, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
BobS[_2_]

I disabled the Windows Search Email Indexer and the Business Contact Manager
for Outlook, which he wasn't using anyway, and all is well. He can now open
attachments in the normal mode. Thank you for your assistance.

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
BobS wrote:

Diane Poremsky wrote ...

BobSwrote ...

Old November 27th 08, 11:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH[_2_]

BobS wrote:

VanguardLH wrote ...

BobS wrote:

Diane Poremsky wrote ...

BobSwrote ...

One of the computers in our office can only open attachments in safe
mode. Windows XP & Outlook 2007.

what other addins are installed? Go to tools, trust center, addins to
see.

Active Add-ins:
Windows Search Email Indexer

Any file indexing program can lockup the database file(s) used by
Outlook. That includes Microsoft's Search. Uninstall it to see if it
causes the problem, or configure it to NOT include indexing of e-mail
contents. Then retest.

I disabled the Windows Search Email Indexer and the Business Contact Manager
for Outlook, which he wasn't using anyway, and all is well. He can now open
attachments in the normal mode. Thank you for your assistance.

My bet is on the indexing service (Microsoft Search).