Dealing with over-the-limit mailbox users

Old November 20th 08, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.misc,microsoft.public.outlook
Spin[_2_]

Default Dealing with over-the-limit mailbox users

Gurus,

I have recently taken a new post as an Exchange Administrator. The first
thing I did was look at mailbox sizes on the storage groups. Many were
large, some more than 1GB. I would like to send out a form email to the
users but only starting off on a one-on-one basis until I get my wording
down. I'm sure many of you in these groups are your companies Exchange
Admins, and my question to you is what does a typical email to your end-user
who is over the limit (and possibly even requesting more space) look like?
What I am trying to get them to do is archive mail to local PST files.

--
Spin

Old November 21st 08, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.misc,microsoft.public.outlook
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Spin wrote:
Gurus,

I have recently taken a new post as an Exchange Administrator. The
first thing I did was look at mailbox sizes on the storage groups. Many
were large, some more than 1GB.

What version of Exchange, and are you using Standard or Enterprise?
Depending on that & on your environment, 1GB isn't very large at all
nowadays.

I would like to send out a form
email to the users but only starting off on a one-on-one basis until
I get my wording down. I'm sure many of you in these groups are your
companies Exchange Admins, and my question to you is what does a
typical email to your end-user who is over the limit (and possibly
even requesting more space) look like?

I don't really have anything boilerplate. If the customer is running
Exchange 2003 Standard (as are most of mine; I support small companies)
they've got reasonable quotas and the business owners understand that we
can't really bump them up too much because there's a 75GB limit per store.
In your office, you need to look at the technology you run (including disk
space, backup capacity, and backup/restore times) and also need to get
management's buy-in before you can talk to users, I'd say.

What I am trying to get them
to do is archive mail to local PST files.

Ah. I don't think that's a very good idea. See
http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Excha...=-BAD/qid/1209 .
If you need to move data off Exchange but still support it, it should at
least stay in some form of managed storage and not in a PST file. There are
plenty of third party server-side archive products, varying in price and
feature-set, which you could run on another server.

Old November 21st 08, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.misc,microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"Spin" wrote in message

I have recently taken a new post as an Exchange Administrator.

I suggest you include microsoft.public.exchange.admin instead of
exchange.misc
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]