Rules Problem in Outlook 2007

Old September 2nd 08, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mcp6453[_2_]

Default Rules Problem in Outlook 2007

By chance this morning when I arrived at the office, I clicked on
"Recover Deleted Items..." for the Inbox. There were several new
messages there that should not have been deleted. The following rule
turned out to be the culprit:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
though the pop.gmail.com account
and on this machine only
move it to the Lists folder
and stop processing more rules

When some messages from the pop.gmail.com account arrive (Outlook is set
to pop the messages from the Gmail account), they are supposed to be
moved to the Lists folder. The Lists folder is valid. Not every message
is deleted. Some of the messages are properly moved to the folder.
Old September 2nd 08, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Do you have a second rule that is moving items to the deleted folder?
Unless Lists is in the deleted items folder, that rule is not the culprit.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old September 2nd 08, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mcp6453[_2_]

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
Do you have a second rule that is moving items to the deleted folder?
Unless Lists is in the deleted items folder, that rule is not the culprit.

There is no rule that deletes any messages. Lists is a separate folder.
It is not in the deleted items folder.

The way I determined that this rule is the culprit is by running the
rules one at a time. This one deleted several messages from the Inbox.
Old September 2nd 08, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Did it also move them? Moving is 'copy to somewhere else then delete from
here'. Normally stop processing would stop the remaining rules so the
messages are moved and a copy is not placed in the deleted items folder. But
if outlook is busy or resources slow, rule processing can be buggy - it
sounds like the next rule started processing before it hit stop processing,
so a copy was made and moved to deleted.

(PS please leave the full thread in the reply so its easier to reference)

Old September 2nd 08, 05:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mcp6453[_2_]

Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
Did it also move them? Moving is 'copy to somewhere else then delete
from here'. Normally stop processing would stop the remaining rules so
the messages are moved and a copy is not placed in the deleted items
folder. But if outlook is busy or resources slow, rule processing can be
buggy - it sounds like the next rule started processing before it hit
stop processing, so a copy was made and moved to deleted.

(PS please leave the full thread in the reply so its easier to reference)

Yes, it also moved them, as I discovered after making this post. So
apparently this post was a false alarm. I did not realize the move is
copy and then delete. Duh.

Sorry about the quoting. Thunderbird is doing to editing. I'll try to
figure out who to tell it to leave in more of the prior thread.

Thanks for your help!