Outlook keeps reloading all messages

Old October 16th 08, 12:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
zuma

Default Outlook keeps reloading all messages

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

"zuma" wrote in message

Hi Brian - I have a similar problem as above. I have just had to have a
new hard
drive installed on my desk top so the shop that did it backed up all the
Office
Outlook 2003 files (pst folders). When I went to pick up the puter they
had put on
2000 so I gave them my disc and told them to install it. I then put on my
husbands
profile and my profile and added the files under each profile.

Are you referring to the Windows usernames here? Mail profiles aren't file
system objects and cannot hold files, so I'm confused by your use of the
word "profile".

On start-up his profile did a send receive and he got only new emails
however when I switched to my profile it would not do a send receive
atomatically. When I clicked on it it proceeded to download all the same
emails it had already downloaded the previous day (over 1000). My laptop
profile is working fine with just new emails being downloaded from the
server.

Apparently he has Outlook delete messages from the server when he downloads
and you leave copies on the server. Creating new mail profile resets the
informaiton on what has been downloaded, so if you leave copies of messages
on the server, Outlook will believe they're all new and ask for them again.
Since you didn't rebuild the laptop, it knows w\hat it downloaded in the
past and isn't confused by the old messages. The rebuilt PC, however
doesn't have the history.

ISP is BT Broadband, I have 4 email addresses with them which are all
duplicating, 1 yahoo address which is duplicating. Hotmail is NOT
duplicating.

BT uses Yahoo for its mail services, so it's really no different than a
regular Yahoo account. As long as a POP account leaves copies of messages
on the server, creating a new mail profile will cause all the messages to
download again. Hotmail doesn't use POP, so new mail is handled differently
and doesn't have the problem.

I have taken the puter back to the shop and despite uninstalling
the program they are getting the same problem repeatedly. I need the
desktop
back urgently

Uninstalling what program?

You have a couple of choices that I can see. One is to use your web browser
to log into your BT/Yahoo accounts online and move the messages in the
server's Inbox to some other folder. If the messages aren't in the Inbox,
Outlook can't see them to download. They'll still be available on line if
you need to reference them from a remote location. Another alternative is
that you can simply let them download fully again, which should reset the
history and Outlook will track it from that point forward. You can install
a duplicate message removal program to eliminate the duplicates. There's at
least one free one available. See this:
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail_duplicates.asp . Another choice is for
you to create a new PST, make it your delivery location, allow Outlook to
download all the messages to that PST, and when it finishes (aving rebuilt
the download history). make your original PST the delivery location again
and delete the PST with all the dupes in it. If I had to choose, I'd choose
the server-side solution I mentioned first.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

The program is Outlook - sorry should have made that clear. Tried uninstalling it and re-building the profiles apparently but the same thing happens. This afternoon whilst waiting for your response I found another entry on this site to the same problem and it referred to a fix KB 885870. I have sent the link to the shop with my machine. My thinking being that since puting in the new hard drive they have not downloaded any updates on office after simply installing Outlook 2003. I am hoping that after downloading the updates the problem will be history. I will let you know soon!

What I dont understand though is why one profile would work perfectly and
the second not and why would it not even do a send receive without manually
having to click on it?Duplicate emails is one thing but that seems to be
something else altogether or is it in fact linked?
Old October 16th 08, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"zuma" wrote in message

The program is Outlook - sorry should have made that clear. Tried
uninstalling it and
re-building the profiles apparently but the same thing happens.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook rarely fixes this type of problem. I
still don't know what you mean be "rebuilding the profiles". What profiles?

This afternoon whilst
waiting for your response I found another entry on this site to the same
problem and
it referred to a fix KB 885870. I have sent the link to the shop with my
machine. My
thinking being that since puting in the new hard drive they have not
downloaded any
updates on office after simply installing Outlook 2003. I am hoping that
after
downloading the updates the problem will be history. I will let you know
soon!

I await your next post.

What I dont understand though is why one profile would work perfectly and
the second not and why would it not even do a send receive without
manually
having to click on it?Duplicate emails is one thing but that seems to be
something else altogether or is it in fact linked?

Have you enabled a send/receive interval? While viewing a mail folder,
press Alt-Ctrl-S and examine the checkboxes labeled "Perform an automatic
send/receive every...".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 16th 08, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
zuma

"zuma" wrote in message

[...]

Had a breif conversation with the shop just to find out if the updates have worked and they tell me that they did not so we are back to square one. Profile two still downloading all emails from the server each time send receive is manually clicked. Surely there must be a simple explanation for this as I have installed Outlook on many machines and have never had this problem before. Is their a corrupt file or what. Should I uninstall the whole thing again and make sure all traces are removed from the registry and start again or is it not as simple as that?

Old October 16th 08, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
zuma

"zuma" wrote in message

[...]

And yes send receive is enabled for every 5 mins and on exsit and startup
etc but will only do one manually, ie if I click on it.
Old October 16th 08, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"zuma" wrote in message

And yes send receive is enabled for every 5 mins and on exsit and startup
etc but will only do one manually, ie if I click on it.

I wish it were as easy to get you to answer my other questions. I wish you
well in your effort to repair your configuration.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 17th 08, 01:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
zuma

"zuma" wrote in message

And yes send receive is enabled for every 5 mins and on exsit and startup
etc but will only do one manually, ie if I click on it.

I wish it were as easy to get you to answer my other questions. I wish you
well in your effort to repair your configuration.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

I am sorry Brian i did not realise I had missed some questions. First of all the Computer has one sign on administrator account only. Profiles - I refer to those that you create from start/ctrl panel/mail/ profiles/showprofiles. Once a profile has been created then I add all the individual email accounts generic to it. Then when I open Outlook I can select and open say my husbands profile and it does an immediate send receive and only downloads new emails that have not previously been downloaded from the server.

However when I select my profile, it opens but does not do an immediate send
receive despite the fact that I have enabled the send receive folder check
boxes as you suggested to tell Outlook to perform this function. I then have
to manually click on send receive and it then proceeds to download ALL emails
on the server despite the fact that these have been downloaded before. Even
if I let them fully down load so that the server should as you say re-set the
history, unfortunately it does not because if ten minutes later I do another
send receive it will do the same thing all over again. This has now happened
so many times that I now have 22000 emails in my inbox!! In order to get
todays new emails I have to indure getting all the others too.

As you say uninstalling Outlook and reinstalling has not cured it nor has
ALL the Windows Office pack Updates including SP3. I have installed this
program (Outlook) many times on new computers and never experianced this
problem - either the send receive or the multible emails and as I say cant
understand why my husbands is working but mine not. Again Windows XP Home,
Outlook 2003 Professional Ed, BT Broadband, - I hope I have not missed
anything so please do not shout at me if I have! Be very grateful for any
advise Thanks.