Advanced E-mail options - "Set Importance" or "Set Sensitivity"

Old July 17th 08, 11:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
PhredBear

Default Advanced E-mail options - "Set Importance" or "Set Sensitivity"

I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help
source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set
Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the
categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference
between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they
have?

Thanks
--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old July 17th 08, 12:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Judy Gleeson \(MVP Outlook\)[_312_]

I'll answer 1/2 about the importance function.

If you set as High, the recipient gets a red exclamation mark in a column in
their Inbox beside that email. Low places a blue down arrow there.

The recipients can make Rules based on the Importance of incoming emails.
So your team could choose to use it occasionally and have Rules at trigger
if you get emails from colleagues that are marked High Importance.

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
www.judygleeson.com

Outlook 2003 user? Read "7 settings all Outlook 2003 users should change"
at www.pragmatix.com.au

SOON!
launching in August 2008:
www.thedeskdoctors.com
www.executiveassistantsonline.com

..
on...

Old July 17th 08, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Diane Poremsky {MVP}[_2_]

private and confidential control what the recipient can do with the received
messages, to a small degree. It is dependant on the mail client they use.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Access this newsgroup directly by visiting
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx

on...

Old July 17th 08, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Nikki Peterson

To add a little, if you use the Exchange Server, (not sure about other
ISP's)
then a message sent with HIGH IMPORTANCE will go to the front of
the queue and be sent before plain 'ol regular email.

PRIVATE email will only show to the profile of the original recipient.
In other words, if I receive an email from my husband and he has
marked it "private", then when someone who shares my inbox looks
at the contents in my inbox, they will not see the message. It will be
invisible to them. The only clue would be if they see 3 messages in
my inbox and look at the number of unread messages, they will not
match. They'll see that there are 4 unread messages, but they can
only view 3 of the messages.

Nikki Peterson

"Judy Gleeson (MVP Outlook)" judy wrote in message
I'll answer 1/2 about the importance function.

If you set as High, the recipient gets a red exclamation mark in a column
in their Inbox beside that email. Low places a blue down arrow there.

The recipients can make Rules based on the Importance of incoming emails.
So your team could choose to use it occasionally and have Rules at trigger
if you get emails from colleagues that are marked High Importance.

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
www.judygleeson.com

Outlook 2003 user? Read "7 settings all Outlook 2003 users should change"
at www.pragmatix.com.au

SOON!
launching in August 2008:
www.thedeskdoctors.com
www.executiveassistantsonline.com

.
on...

Old September 24th 08, 09:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
mturnbull

Based on this thread .....

If I want to send an email from a different (non-MS) source but would like
it to be marked as Private when received by the exchange server, what needs
to be set to achieve this?

--
Regards, Marty

on...

Old September 24th 08, 10:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

If that "non-MS" source supports it (whatever that means) it may come through. Without knowing the source, it is hard to give a definitive answer.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, mturnbull asked: