Outlook 2007 backup

Old July 14th 08, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Gordon[_4_]

Default Outlook 2007 backup

"Mary P." wrote in message
When I try to back up my personal folders, I get a message saying 'Cannot
copy files - path is too deep." Can anyone help with this?
--
Mary P.

*Cross posted to OUTLOOK group!!!!*
What is the path of your pst file?

Old July 15th 08, 12:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Mary P.

The data path is C:\Documents and Settings\Mary\Local Settings\Applications
Data\Microsoft\Outlook/Outlook.pst. This is where the installation put it. I
am trying to back up to an external hard drive.
--
Mary P.

Old July 15th 08, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Gordon[_4_]

"Mary P." wrote in message
news
The data path is C:\Documents and Settings\Mary\Local
Settings\Applications
Data\Microsoft\Outlook/Outlook.pst. This is where the installation put it.
am trying to back up to an external hard drive.

And with what application are you trying to do this backup?

Old July 15th 08, 12:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
p[_3_]

Mary P. wrote:
The data path is C:\Documents and Settings\Mary\Local Settings\Applications
Data\Microsoft\Outlook/Outlook.pst. This is where the installation put it. I
am trying to back up to an external hard drive.

Just copy it and paste it to the external drive.

Old July 15th 08, 12:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Gordon[_4_]

"p" wrote in message ...
Mary P. wrote:
The data path is C:\Documents and Settings\Mary\Local
Settings\Applications Data\Microsoft\Outlook/Outlook.pst. This is where
the installation put it. I am trying to back up to an external hard
drive.

Just copy it and paste it to the external drive.

You are trying to do this with Outlook closed?

Old July 15th 08, 01:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Brian Tillman

p wrote:

Mary P. wrote:
The data path is C:\Documents and Settings\Mary\Local
Settings\Applications Data\Microsoft\Outlook/Outlook.pst. This is
where the installation put it. I am trying to back up to an external
hard drive.

Just copy it and paste it to the external drive.

Into what folder on the external drive are you trying to copy it? It sounds
to me like the original error is a Windows file system error, caused by
having more than 256 characters in the path name. Try copying the PST to a
higher folder level on the external device. There is a free tool called
TeraCopy that can help you address file copy problems as well.
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old July 15th 08, 01:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Brian Tillman

p wrote:

Mary P. wrote:
The data path is C:\Documents and Settings\Mary\Local
Settings\Applications Data\Microsoft\Outlook/Outlook.pst. This is
where the installation put it. I am trying to back up to an external
hard drive.

Just copy it and paste it to the external drive.

There's some evidence that if you're using a Check Point firewall
(ZoneAlarm) that it can cause this issue as well.
http://teknotes.wordpress.com/2007/0...h-is-too-deep/
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old July 15th 08, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Mary P.

I am trying to backup with Microsoft's Outlook backup tool, so it doesn't
start until Outlook closes.
--
Mary P.

Old July 15th 08, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
DL

Then check the options in Backup as to where you are storing the backup
file, it should probably be something akin to;
E:\Outlook backup.pst (where E is your external, & 'Outlook' is the name of
your origonal data file)