Outlook Banter

-   Outlook - General Queries (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-general-queries/)
-   -   IMAP messages mysteriously disappear when marking one as read inUnread folder (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-general-queries/74473-imap-messages-mysteriously-disappear-when.html)

Ondine July 1st 08 11:04 PM

IMAP messages mysteriously disappear when marking one as read inUnread folder

Hi there

I am using Outlook 2007 with imap email (one account) on a windows xp
machine. I have a really strange problem which happens intermittently
and which goes like this:

I have an 'Unread' folder for my IMAP inbox. If I select an unread
message, right-click and select 'Mark as Read' most of the unread
messages disappear from the folder, or sometimes almost all of them -
last time the only message left in the folder was the unread one.
Then, if I return to my regular Inbox many of the messages have
disappeared, especially the most recent ones. I cannot get them back
other than by crashing out of Outlook (which generally hangs if I
select the Inbox too many times) and starting it up again. Sometimes
when it starts up again the inbox is still half empty, but it will
actually fill up before my very eyes.

It must be something to do with synchronising the folders on the IMAP
server going wrong because of course the emails are still there on the
server, just not there in Outlook.

Has anyone else had this problem? I had no trouble with Outlook 2000.

Thanks!

Brian Tillman July 2nd 08 02:05 PM

Ondine wrote:

I am using Outlook 2007 with imap email (one account) on a windows xp
machine. I have a really strange problem which happens intermittently
and which goes like this:

I have an 'Unread' folder for my IMAP inbox. If I select an unread
message, right-click and select 'Mark as Read' most of the unread
messages disappear from the folder, or sometimes almost all of them -
last time the only message left in the folder was the unread one.

What view do you have on the Inbox?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Ondine July 2nd 08 11:57 PM

On 2 Jul, 14:05, "Brian Tillman" wrote:
Ondine wrote:
I am using Outlook 2007 with imap email (one account) on a windows xp
machine. *I have a really strange problem which happens intermittently
and which goes like this:

I have an 'Unread' folder for my IMAP inbox. *If I select an unread
message, right-click and select 'Mark as Read' most of the unread
messages disappear from the folder, or sometimes almost all of them -
last time the only message left in the folder was the unread one.

What view do you have on the Inbox?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

My inbox is set to 'Hide messages marked for Deletion'

Ondine.

Ondine July 3rd 08 09:31 AM

IMAP messages mysteriously disappear when marking one as read inUnread folder

Another detail - if I wait long enough, Outlook will eventually manage
to sync the folders and my messages will reappear - but all the unread
items will be duplicated, the duplicate item will initially have a
size of 0kb, no attachments will be listed and my email address will
be in the 'To' field about 12 times! A short while later the folders
sync again and these duplicates disappear (but not before they have
all been copied by my Rule to another folder unfortunately). I reset
the Current View for my Inbox but it hasn't helped.

Ondine.

Brian Tillman July 3rd 08 02:48 PM

Ondine wrote:

Another detail - if I wait long enough, Outlook will eventually manage
to sync the folders and my messages will reappear - but all the unread
items will be duplicated, the duplicate item will initially have a
size of 0kb, no attachments will be listed and my email address will
be in the 'To' field about 12 times! A short while later the folders
sync again and these duplicates disappear (but not before they have
all been copied by my Rule to another folder unfortunately). I reset
the Current View for my Inbox but it hasn't helped.

Naturally messages you read will "disappear" from the Unread Mail folder.
However, they shouldn't vanish from the Inbox unless they're marked for
deletion. Are you subscribed to the IMAP folders? Do you download the
entire message and not just the headers?

Franky, I find Outlook's IMAP transport to be less than robust.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Ondine July 3rd 08 09:28 PM

IMAP messages mysteriously disappear when marking one as read inUnread folder

Naturallymessagesyou read will "disappear" from the Unread Mail folder.
However, they shouldn't vanish from the Inbox unless they're marked for
deletion. *Are you subscribed to theIMAPfolders? *Do you download the
entire message and not just the headers?

Franky, I find Outlook'sIMAPtransport to be less than robust.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

I think I didn't describe what happens very clearly. Suppose I have
20 unread messages in an Inbox with around 200 messages in total.
I'll go to the 'Unread' folder, which will display the 20 unread
ones. I'll select one, right-click and choose 'Mark as read'. Then,
almost ALL of the unread messages will disappear from the folder, and
I am normally left with just the message which I selected and maybe
one or two newer ones - so the message which has been marked as read
actually stays in the Unread folder and all the others, which I hadn't
touched, go. Then, when I return to my inbox with its 200 or so
messages I'll find that a whole load are no longer there. I've not
checked but it might be that the messages which disappear are all
those newer than the one I selected to be marked as Read - but I can't
confirm that.

Fortunately the messages aren't actually being deleted on the imap
server so they do return, but then I get the temporary duplicates.
I'm sure it's a synchronisation issue.

I am subscribed to the IMAP folders and generally don't have problems
unless I meddle with the Unread folder. And yes, I do download the
entire message.

Thanks for your help so far.

Ondine.

Brian Tillman July 6th 08 05:36 PM

Ondine wrote:

I think I didn't describe what happens very clearly. Suppose I have
20 unread messages in an Inbox with around 200 messages in total.
I'll go to the 'Unread' folder, which will display the 20 unread
ones. I'll select one, right-click and choose 'Mark as read'. Then,
almost ALL of the unread messages will disappear from the folder, and
I am normally left with just the message which I selected and maybe
one or two newer ones - so the message which has been marked as read
actually stays in the Unread folder and all the others, which I hadn't
touched, go. Then, when I return to my inbox with its 200 or so
messages I'll find that a whole load are no longer there. I've not
checked but it might be that the messages which disappear are all
those newer than the one I selected to be marked as Read - but I can't
confirm that.

I can't reproduce this, but I'm not a big user of IMAP. I do have a couple
of IMAP accounts, but I get messages so rarely delivered to them and have so
few messages in them that I don't think I can help. Sorry.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]