Outlook Banter

-   Outlook - General Queries (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-general-queries/)
-   -   Automatically Delete Messages (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-general-queries/69476-automatically-delete-messages.html)

Schmand March 30th 08 09:55 PM

Automatically Delete Messages

Hi

Here's what I would like to do, but I did not see an obvious way of
doing it in Outlook. I sometimes use a laptop to check on mail when on
the road. Unfortunately the thing downloads all messages since it last
looked into the account which may be weeks. Lot of email.

What I would like if for Outlook to immediately delete any messages
downloaded into my inbox that were sent 1 day ago. Read or not Any
ideas on how to do this?

Charles W Davis March 30th 08 11:24 PM

Automatically Delete Messages

I have a feeling that what you say you want isn't.

You should only have one computer that download the messages AND deletes
them from the server - your main computer.

Then set up the lap top to download AND leave them on the server. For more
information, open Outlook on your laptop computer, press the F1 key search
for "leave on server" (without the quotes). Follow the instructions to
leave the message on the server. Then when you return to the main computer,
you will again see the same messages, but they will be removed from the
server.

Diane Poremsky {MVP} March 30th 08 11:26 PM

Automatically Delete Messages

it'll still download them before deleting because it won't check them as it
downloads from the server... Which makes a view that hides these messages
just as useful as a rule with a script, although I don't have a sample
script for deleting aged mail. If you do use a rule, make sure outlook
isn't set to delete messages when they are deleted from outlook or you'll
lose all mail from the server.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **