My styles as default in new email

Old March 8th 08, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Default My styles as default in new email

Hi all,

I've posted a similar question to this a couple times, but each time I
get better at describing what I'm really looking for. :-) Thanks for
your patience.

I have some styles that I'm partial to (Normal and Heading 1-9 with
bullets), and when I open a new email in Outlook 2007 I want those to
be the default styles. I don't want to have to choose a Quick Style.
I don't want a custom form.

I've tried editing the NormalEmail.dotm, but it doesn't produce the
desired results: new emails don't have the styles I define in the
template. I've struggled with this template for FAR too long and I'm
only getting frustrated that the results aren't predictable. (and also
I've read several posts that said that's not the best way to do it).
Sigh.

Can anyone tell me the best way to have my style formats be the
default style formats for new emails? I'm sure I'm just missing
something.

Thanks!

Myron
Old March 10th 08, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bill R[_3_]

If you could create a style and have it listed as a Theme then you should be
able to set it as default via Tools | Options | Mail Format ... stationary

there's a little on Word 2007 themes he
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...341291033.aspx

I'm not sure if all the themes are shared with Outlook. I'd expect them to
be.

Old March 10th 08, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Thanks... I've heard it's not possible to create themes short of real
programming... If I'm wrong, please point me in the right
direction.

If programming is required to create themes, then there's gotta be an
easier way to set up a default email style template, right?

Thanks!
Old March 10th 08, 06:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bill R[_3_]

Word 2007 certainly has the ability to "Save Current Theme". The Word guys
would know more.

In Outlook look in Change Styles in the Format Text Ribbon.
I haven't played around with it yet (I will when I get more time) but there
are a few options there like "Save as Quick Style Set" and "Set as Default"
that might apply.

post back on what you discover.

Old March 10th 08, 08:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bill R[_3_]

Also, in the Quick Styles I mentioned look at updating a style to match
selection. There's some info in Help.

Old April 4th 08, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jjb

No you are not missing anything. What you want should be straightforward and
easy to do but the people who designed Outlook 2007 have hidden anything
useful away. The rambling responses to your request are indicative of the
problem. If you do find a solution I'd love to know it! I have the same
issue. We have stationery set up which is fine for a new mail but when you
reply in HTML mode it defaults to a font we don't want. I tried the Word
template route....with the same results as you. However, I've solved the
problem on my new laptop. I installed Thunderbird.

Old March 20th 12, 11:28 PM
Nicholas Jankovic Nicholas Jankovic is offline
Junior Member

Hi Myron,

I was researching this issue for a client of mine today and it seems to be working okay for me. To clarify, I have tried this in Outlook 2010 running on Windows XP.

After reading a number of websites discussing the subject, I have assembled these instructions here...

http://onsitetrainingcourses.com.au/..._styles .html

There is an interesting extra element of "Stationery" in Outlook vs the "Word" template for the email.

Remember you can bring up the Paragraph Styles list in Outlook 2007/2010 emails by holding Ctrl, Alt, Shift and tapping S.

Last of all, not mentioned in the blog is that you can also use the list numbering feature and connect them to the paragraph styles to Outline numbering in your headings or other paragraph styles. If this is something you're looking to do, this is a great webpage on the subject: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html

I hope this is helpful.

With kind regards,

Nicholas Jankovic