how to move outlook mail from old hard disk to new

Old January 20th 08, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Margo Guda

Default how to move outlook mail from old hard disk to new

When my partner's motherboard gave up the ghost the other day, we got a
new computer and kept the old hard disk in an external enclosure. I am
now ready to move all his email files from this drive to the newly
installed outlook instance. Where do I find the files and where do I
move them to on the new drive?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 20th 08, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

Posted every day, often several times
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
You may also have to 'take ownership' I'll leave you to google for that, or
see WinHelp

Old January 20th 08, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

"Margo Guda" wrote in message

When my partner's motherboard gave up the ghost the other day, we got a
new computer and kept the old hard disk in an external enclosure. I am now
ready to move all his email files from this drive to the newly installed
outlook instance. Where do I find the files and where do I move them to on
the new drive?

Thanks in advance.- Hide quoted text -

Also, if you haven't put the new harddrive in yet, I know that Seagate
and Western Digital (possibly others but I know these 2) come with
software that will replicate your old harddrive onto your new one,
even if the new harddrive is bigger than the old. It will move your OS
and all documents. The only "issue" I had was that the OS had to be
activated again. Other than that, it took about 15 minutes and it was
done.

Russ
Old January 20th 08, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

You only had the activation issue because you were simply cloning to a
larger hd on the same PC, it wont work for cloning to a new PC, without
other procedures & probably not at all if an OEM edition

Old January 20th 08, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Margo Guda

It was already too late for that, the new hard drive even had the OS
pre-installed.
But I found the pst file, which was the information I needed. Not being
an outlook user, I had no idea exactly what file I had to look for; once
I found that, the rest was easy.
So thanks.

Old January 20th 08, 10:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Margo Guda

Possibly asked several times a day, but if it's asked in such a way that
you practically have to know the answer, how would anyone else find it?
Since I don't normally use Outlook I had no idea about the file name, or
where to find it. I did notice there are many Outlook folders on a
system that has MS software installed, so if you don't know what's what,
how do you choose?
Anyway the link you gave me (which didn't show up when I first googled
my question) provided enough information that I was able to solve my
problem.
Thanks.

Old January 21st 08, 01:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Margo Guda wrote:

Possibly asked several times a day, but if it's asked in such a way
that you practically have to know the answer, how would anyone else
find it?

Searching on "backup pst", "restore pst", "copy pst", "move pst to new
drive", or "locate pst" would all have found at least one post. That's
certainly not "knowing the answer".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]