Long Term Retention

Old January 12th 08, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Marsh

Default Long Term Retention

We have groups within our company that is required to retain business
e-mails, including attachments, for a period of 7 years. Some attachments
can be quite large. Mailboxes can become quite bloated.
What I would like to have them do is archive the emails on a monthly basis,
compress the archive somehow (like a zip file), move the compressed archive
to a CD, DVD, or even a network directory.
Next month start a new archive and repeat the process.
When necessary, a compressed archive should be decompressed, the archive
restored to read one or more of the e-mails within it, and then rearchive,
compress, and move back.
What would be the best way to proceed.

Old January 12th 08, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH

"Marsh" wrote in message
We have groups within our company that is required to retain
business
e-mails, including attachments, for a period of 7 years. Some
attachments
can be quite large. Mailboxes can become quite bloated.
What I would like to have them do is archive the emails on a monthly
basis,
compress the archive somehow (like a zip file), move the compressed
archive
to a CD, DVD, or even a network directory.
Next month start a new archive and repeat the process.
When necessary, a compressed archive should be decompressed, the
archive
restored to read one or more of the e-mails within it, and then
rearchive,
compress, and move back.
What would be the best way to proceed.

Oh boy, a company that expects its employees to individually follow
some backup procedures rather than provide for a centralized backup
server with clients running on each of the workstations. Get a real
backup solution. Stop trying to push the manpower (and try to do so
for free) on your employees.

Old January 13th 08, 11:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Judy Gleeson \(MVP Outlook\)[_6_]

There are many software packages that can help business users implement a
strategy. Google outlook "backup software", speak to your Microsoft
software partner and see what they have experience with.

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
Trainer and Consultant

There are various articles about using Outlook he
www.judygleeson.com/articles.aspx
Canberra, Australia

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each
other?"
George Eliot
"VanguardLH" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 13th 08, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

Finding anything in that mess would be a nightmare - searching 84 separate
psts for each employee involved would take days. Get a real archival system
that was designed for just such a scenario.
http://www.slipstick.com/exs/archive.asp

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old January 15th 08, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com

"Marsh" wrote in message

We have groups within our company that is required to retain business
e-mails, including attachments, for a period of 7 years. Some attachments
can be quite large. Mailboxes can become quite bloated.
What I would like to have them do is archive the emails on a monthly
basis,
compress the archive somehow (like a zip file), move the compressed
archive
to a CD, DVD, or even a network directory.
Next month start a new archive and repeat the process.
When necessary, a compressed archive should be decompressed, the archive
restored to read one or more of the e-mails within it, and then
rearchive,
compress, and move back.
What would be the best way to proceed.

If you really want to keep every file and email the company shouldn't
ask anything to the user: just backup everything using a good backup
tool.
I think that's not the point. I think important email and attachments
should be kept for 7 years, and you only need to give the user a good
tool to archive the email directly at sending it, or after reading it.
We've choosen for mailtofile (www.mailtofile.com) to archive email as
msg file in a directory. Together with the other files. This file
server is easy to backup, easy to search. And easy to sha I you
work on a project you can find and read all relevant email.
Old project can be easily moved to an second file server, using
another back up procedure. And a file server is much safer to grow in
GB than a Exchange database or pst files. Even for backup this is a
point. A pst file and Exchange database change every day, even when
only one email arives (imagine one email a day woow). Every day you
need a full backup of such a pst file or the Exchange database. You
don't need that for (old) Worddocuments, email and other files: there
file date time gives information about changes.. And most files aren't
changed at all after creating it. That makes archiving very easy!
have a good day

Old January 16th 08, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Marsh

Thanks Jean, I have looked at mailtofile and it looks promising.
My network architecture and application people are downloading the
evaluation copy to test and evaluate. If they are satisfied, then it can go
through the Change Managment procedures that all large companies go through
now in the US.
Stacks of newly designed paperwork, I suppose thanks to Enron, WorldCom, et
al.