How do I transfer Outlook contents to new computer?

Old April 2nd 09, 09:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
routlirh

Default How do I transfer Outlook contents to new computer?

"pshapiro" wrote:

Brian:

Thanks for your helpful post. I need some further elaboration, as per my
post back to Russ Valentine. I can't tell if my latest post is visible to
you.

Here it is:

Forgive my lack of sophistication, but allow me to repeat this in simple
words. I should go back and copy the files (the ones that are ordinarily
"hidden" files, which I made visible) from within Outlook that are called
Outlook.pst and archive.pst. I will copy these to my external hard disk
(which I only use as a back-up, by the way). Do I need to remove the
"read-only" attribute when I copy them to the hard disk?

Then, once I have copies these files onto the hard disk, I will disconnect
it from the old laptop (XP SP3 running Outlook 2003 SP3), hook it up to the
new one (Vista Ultimate v 6.0 SP1, running Outlook 2007 SP1), and then do I
open it directly from the external hard disk, or do I copy it from the
external disk onto the internal hard disk before opening it. Also, how do I
"open" it. Just go to File/Open? I am already using the new laptop, so I
have some (but not many) Personal Folders and contents thereof on the new
laptop. Will these survive, and I can just reshuffle old emails, etc.,
within the various personal folders and delete ones I don't need after all is
done?

Just so I'm clear, my main need here is to bring in my old Outlook folders,
esp. the old Sent Items, archived folders, and old Personal Folders where
I've sorted various emails over the years. These are BIG folders, as I get
lots of emails with big attachments.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

"pshapiro" wrote in message

I followed the link, copied the files from my old computer (with Outlook
2003) called backup.pst (that I created by exporting in the old Outlook)

You should not have exported. The export process loses data. You should
have simply copied the PST, just like you copied archive.pst.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old April 2nd 09, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
routlirh

I attempted to import Outlook 2007 files from one computer to another. All
folders showed up but no contents (each folder is empty). How can I fix?

Old April 2nd 09, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"routlirh" wrote in message
I attempted to import Outlook 2007 files from one computer to another. All
folders showed up but no contents (each folder is empty). How can I fix?

By not importing. This is posted in all the Outlook groups usually more than
once a day.
The correct method is to copy the pst file to your HDD, (in your Documents
folder is a good place), remove any read-only attribute (if set) then in
outlook do File-Open-Outlook Data File and navigate to where you put it.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Old July 8th 09, 12:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
maxrusky

"pshapiro" wrote in message

I followed the link, copied the files from my old computer (with Outlook
2003) called backup.pst (that I created by exporting in the old Outlook)

You should not have exported. The export process loses data. You should
have simply copied the PST, just like you copied archive.pst.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Dear Brian or whomever reads this.

I have been an office user for years but have always used outlook express.
Finally I have gone to a vista machine and want to use outlook.

I have many thousands of emails, multiple accounts, and a lot of message
rules.

My accounts are both http (hotmail plus) and pop3.

They work fine in outlook express

After about two days of work, I finally got outlook working on my current
machine, xp,and felt ready to transfer the emails and settings and messages
to outlook in my vista machine.

Big problems!

I read the ms posts on it, and other help guides.

but nothing worked properly.

I get my pop3 account windows, but not the actual account settings or
message rules. I can get one of the http hotmail accounts but not the other.

Surely MS has simple way to transfer all emails, accounts, settings and
message rules when one upgrades to a new computer??? !!!

Millions of people who use Outlook must have this issue or eventually have it.

So, here is my question.

Now, after many hours I have migrated to Outlook 2007 on old xp computer,
what is the simple step by step way to get exactly the same setup on my new
computer in Vista?

I read on one forum that this simple and important task
IS NOT POSSIBLE!

Is it possible. I am beginning to think that it is not possible unless you
go in and set all the rules, account info and other settings by hand again!

And if you back up everything. If you have a hard disk failure and you have
to take your backup outlook data, it will be a huge job to get it back into
the same condition.

Can you help

How can I transfer all emails, account info, message rules, settings from
one copy of Outlook in XP to another in Vista?

That's it.

It is a simple question really, one that probably millions have wanted the
answer but no clear answer has come forth to my knowledge.

thanks,

Dr. Rusky

Old July 8th 09, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL[_2_]

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
You cannot transfer mail accounts, easily, they are held in the registry

"maxrusky" wrote in message
news

Old July 12th 09, 12:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Keenan

"maxrusky" wrote in message
news

"pshapiro" wrote in message

[...]

There's a free utility that can help you with the email account settings,
named MailPV.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

It's not really well known and many anti-virus scanners (justifiably)
identify it as malware, because it detects and displays email account server
names, account IDs, and passwords, and can write this all out to a text
file.

It's extremely useful for migrating from one system to another, or for
documenting your system setup.

I've used it successfully on XP and Vista, but be aware that eventually your
A/V scanner may detect and quarantine the executable so you should run it as
soon as you download it, and store a copy OFF the PC.

HTH
-pk

Old September 16th 09, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Shari

I transferred my .pst file which IS read/write capable and everything
appeared fine on my new computer. However, I am unable to create and send
NEW emails now. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old September 16th 09, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Shari" wrote in message
I transferred my .pst file which IS read/write capable and everything
appeared fine on my new computer. However, I am unable to create and send
NEW emails now. Any ideas?

Did you re-create your email account in the new instance of Outlook?

Old September 17th 09, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Shari

No. Didn't realize that I had to do that. So I create another account
identical to it? Do I have to keep them separate then and just use the old
one for reference? Or is there a way to merge them one I create the new one?

Thanks.