How do I transfer Outlook contents to new computer?

Old January 11th 09, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
pshapiro

Default How do I transfer Outlook contents to new computer?

I followed the link, copied the files from my old computer (with Outlook
2003) called backup.pst (that I created by exporting in the old Outlook) and
archive.pst -- I copied them onto an external hard disk, then hooked up the
hard disk to my new computer. When I tried to import them into Outlook
(2007) on the new computer (Vista), I got a message saying "File access
denied. You do not have permission required to access the file
F:\backup.pst". I also tried just to follow the "Open" command in Outlook,
and I got the same message. Same message also appeared when I tried to open
the archive.pst alone.

What am I doing wrong?

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

It can be used but we recommended upgrading to the new pst format.
See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Whitestone" wrote in message
I have read the How To link several times and it seems to address moving
data
from same version to same version. I want to move all data from Outlook
2002
SP3 to Outlook 2007 (new laptop). I assume (#*!) that the 2002 pst file
has
changed structure and can not be used in 2007. What is the proper
procedure
to get my data safely and completely transferred?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

For the record: you never import Outlook data unless you want to change
it
or lose it. Use the instructions in the link, not the one from mrb.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"mrb" wrote in message
I used this to transfer between outlook 2003 and 2007 (copy the pst on
the
old machine / version and import it like a restore and it worked fine.

"DL" wrote:

See if this helps
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

"Sarah" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a new computer and need to transfer my outlook over from my
laptop.
Am using 2003, which is installed on my new computer also. I've
been
searching these q&a's, and see that I will need to "copy to a pst
file"?
What
is this, where do I find it, and how to I execute it??? And if any
of
you
clever people choose to help me, you will have to talk r-e-a-l-l-y
s-l-o-w-l-y, as I'm very sorry, but I don't speak your language.
--
Regards,
Sarah

Old January 11th 09, 09:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Two things:
1. You forgot to remove the read only attribute the files acquired from
being on a CD
2. You imported. Never import Outlook data. Just open the file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old January 12th 09, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"pshapiro" wrote in message

I followed the link, copied the files from my old computer (with Outlook
2003) called backup.pst (that I created by exporting in the old Outlook)

You should not have exported. The export process loses data. You should
have simply copied the PST, just like you copied archive.pst.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old January 12th 09, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
pshapiro

Forgive my lack of sophistication, but allow me to repeat this in simple
words. I should go back and copy the files (the ones that are ordinarily
"hidden" files, which I made visible) from within Outlook that are called
Outlook.pst and archive.pst. I will copy these to my external hard disk
(which I only use as a back-up, by the way). Do I need to remove the
"read-only" attribute when I copy them to the hard disk?

Then, once I have copies these files onto the hard disk, I will disconnect
it from the old laptop (XP SP3 running Outlook 2003 SP3), hook it up to the
new one (Vista Ultimate v 6.0 SP1, running Outlook 2007 SP1), and then do I
open it directly from the external hard disk, or do I copy it from the
external disk onto the internal hard disk before opening it. Also, how do I
"open" it. Just go to File/Open? I am already using the new laptop, so I
have some (but not many) Personal Folders and contents thereof on the new
laptop. Will these survive, and I can just reshuffle old emails, etc.,
within the various personal folders and delete ones I don't need after all is
done?

Just so I'm clear, my main need here is to bring in my old Outlook folders,
esp. the old Sent Items, archived folders, and old Personal Folders where
I've sorted various emails over the years. These are BIG folders, as I get
lots of emails with big attachments.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Old January 12th 09, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Whether or not these files acquire a read only attribute depends on how you
transfer them. The easiest thing to do is simply examine their properties
once you have copied them to your destination hard drive and remove any read
only attribute they may have acquired.
Once you have done that, you will be able to open them in the new
installation of Outlook using File Open Outlook data file... At that
point you have 2 choices:
1. Copy the data you need from the old PST file to the new one that Outlook
creates at startup.
2. Just keep using your old file by designating it as the default data file
for the new installation, restarting Outlook, then closing the new
(presumably empty) data file created by the new installation.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old January 12th 09, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
pshapiro

Brian:

Thanks for your helpful post. I need some further elaboration, as per my
post back to Russ Valentine. I can't tell if my latest post is visible to
you.

Here it is:

Old January 13th 09, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Alias[_12_]

pshapiro wrote:
Brian:

Thanks for your helpful post. I need some further elaboration, as per my
post back to Russ Valentine. I can't tell if my latest post is visible to
you.

Here it is:

Forgive my lack of sophistication, but allow me to repeat this in simple
words. I should go back and copy the files (the ones that are ordinarily
"hidden" files, which I made visible) from within Outlook that are called
Outlook.pst and archive.pst. I will copy these to my external hard disk
(which I only use as a back-up, by the way). Do I need to remove the
"read-only" attribute when I copy them to the hard disk?

NO.

Then, once I have copies these files onto the hard disk, I will disconnect
it from the old laptop (XP SP3 running Outlook 2003 SP3), hook it up to the
new one (Vista Ultimate v 6.0 SP1, running Outlook 2007 SP1), and then do I
open it directly from the external hard disk, or do I copy it from the
external disk onto the internal hard disk before opening it.

Copy to the new lap top.

Also, how do I
"open" it. Just go to File/Open?

Yes, after opening Outlook, go to File/Open/Outlook Data File and then
browse to where you saved the .pst files. You will then see them in the
Folder Tree. You can then move all your messages to the appropriate
folders. If you have created your own folders, just drag them up to
Personal Folders.

I would do a scanpst and compact in Outlook after doing the above.

I am already using the new laptop, so I
have some (but not many) Personal Folders and contents thereof on the new
laptop. Will these survive, and I can just reshuffle old emails, etc.,
within the various personal folders and delete ones I don't need after all is
done?

See above.

Just so I'm clear, my main need here is to bring in my old Outlook folders,
esp. the old Sent Items, archived folders, and old Personal Folders where
I've sorted various emails over the years. These are BIG folders, as I get
lots of emails with big attachments.

See above. Large folders may take some time to move. Be patient.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Anytime, I hope I've helped you sort it out.

Alias
Old February 14th 09, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
RVF

Let me step in here to help, if you don't mind. Perhaps I can help.

See my comments interspersed with your questions below. You'll want to read
the whole thing before doing anything. (and I'm not sure how this Discussion
Group works if you have to click on a link below or not.)

"pshapiro" wrote:

Brian:

Thanks for your helpful post. I need some further elaboration, as per my
post back to Russ Valentine. I can't tell if my latest post is visible to
you.

Here it is:

Forgive my lack of sophistication, but allow me to repeat this in simple
words. I should go back and copy the files (the ones that are ordinarily
"hidden" files, which I made visible) from within Outlook that are called
Outlook.pst and archive.pst. I will copy these to my external hard disk
(which I only use as a back-up, by the way). Do I need to remove the
"read-only" attribute when I copy them to the hard disk?

You should copy all your .pst files in that folder to your external hard
drive. Unless you copied them to a CD-R, you won't have to bother with the
read-only attribute. If I understand your previous posts, the file
backup.pst was created using the export function on your old computer. You
do not want to copy this file. The default name for a .pst file in Outlook
2003 is outlook.pst. You want to be sure to copy that. Outlook also
automatically makes file archive.pst that you also want to copy. You also
seem to imply below that you have additional .pst files. You should copy
these as well.

You can think of the .pst files as containers for Outlook's data which
includes your inbox and other mail folders, your contacts, your calanders,
your tasks if you use those, etc. Moving the .pst files moves everything.

Then, once I have copies these files onto the hard disk, I will disconnect
it from the old laptop (XP SP3 running Outlook 2003 SP3), hook it up to the
new one (Vista Ultimate v 6.0 SP1, running Outlook 2007 SP1), and then do I
open it directly from the external hard disk, or do I copy it from the
external disk onto the internal hard disk before opening it.

The external disk is used just to transport the files from one computer to
the other. You want to copy the same files you copied from the laptop to the
Vista computer. Part of the complexity here is that Vista stores the Outlook
files in a different place.

XP stores them here (where you copied them from):
drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

And Vista stores them here (where you want to copy them to):
drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outl ook

After reading more below, we learn you are already using a .pst file on the
new laptop. It is possible that this new .pst file has the same name as the
one from the old laptop now on the external disk (outlook.pst). You must
first make sure that the files you are copying from the external disk HAVE
DIFFERENT NAMES than any of the .pst files that currently exist in the Vista
folder mentioned above, otherwise you will loose your existing .pst files.
Just rename a file on the external disk that has a conflicting name, such as
renaming "outlook.pst" to "fromoldlaptop.pst", then copy it to the Vista
folder above. When you open this file in Outlook, it will still have the
same folder name, presumably the default "Personal Folders".

Also, how do I
"open" it. Just go to File/Open? I am already using the new laptop, so I
have some (but not many) Personal Folders and contents thereof on the new
laptop. Will these survive, and I can just reshuffle old emails, etc.,
within the various personal folders and delete ones I don't need after all is
done?

The answer is more or less, "yes". The key here is that when you copied
your old .pst files to the Vista computer that you didn't overwrite the new
ones already created because you renamed them first. Also adding to the
complexity here is that not only are you going from XP to Vista, but you are
going from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. Outlook 2007 introduces a new
format for the .pst file, but it can read the old .pst files just fine.

You can open more than one .pst file at a time. Since you already started
using a .pst file native to Outlook 2007 on the Vista machine, I suggest you
continue to use that file. Open your old .pst file (fromoldlaptop.pst if you
used my example above) in Outlook 2007. I don't have a copy of that running
right here, but I do belive it is as simple as "File | Open" as you suggest.
You will see a new "Personal Folders" folder appear. If you don't, navigte
to the icon on the lower left that says "All folders" (if my memory is
right). It's the bottom most view below Messages, Contacts, Calendar, etc.

So by now you've learned that The Personal Folders and contents thereof on
the new laptop are contained in an existing .pst file there. You can leave
it like this with two .pst files opened. If you do, I suggest you rename the
old Personal Folders folder something like "From Old Laptop". I found
instructions of how to do this rename for 2003 but it should be similar in
2007:

1. In the Navigation Pane, right-click Personal Folders, and then click
Properties for Personal Folders.
2. Click Advanced.
3. In the Name text box, type a name that is meaningful to you, such as My
Messages.
4. Click okay as many times as you need to get out.

Now, you can move individual messages, message folders, contacts, calendar
items, etc from one pst to the other at will. Copying calendar items is
tricky, but you didn't mention needing to do that, so I won't bother
explaining.

Just so I'm clear, my main need here is to bring in my old Outlook folders,
esp. the old Sent Items, archived folders, and old Personal Folders where
I've sorted various emails over the years. These are BIG folders, as I get
lots of emails with big attachments.

What isn't clear (thanks Microsoft, he says sarcastically) is that word
"folder" is over used in Outlook to mean different things in different
contexts. I think you will learn this context as you open multiple .pst
files and see that there are Messages, Contacts, Calendar, etc in each .pst
file and that there is a Sent Items "folder" in the Messages part of each
..pst file. The default name within Outlook for the entire contents of a .pst
file is "Personal Folders" but there are Message folders within each .pst
file/Personal Folder.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Actually, it is you who have been patient. Microsoft take note: People
migrate to new computers all the time! It is part of your business plan that
they do so they buy new copies of Windows. It is unbelievable that you do
not provide an Outlook migration tool. Users like pshapiro here should be
easily and seamlessly be able to simply start using a new computer and bring
over their outlook files. You owe him (and the rest of us) an apology, IMHO,
and a usefule migration tool.
Old February 14th 09, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Very well and correctly stated. And I agree it is disgraceful that migrating
Outlook data has become such an unintuitive chore.
The only thing we advise slightly differently is not to copy the PST file to
the default location at all. There is absolutely no need for it to be there.
And that eliminates the possibility that a user will overwrite another PST
file (since Outlook gives all PST files the same name by default). That way
the user doesn't have to rename the file and if a user forgets to rename the
file before copying it to the default location, he hasn't hosed his profile.
Finally, it is easier to keep track of your data file if you put it in a
location that you've chosen and that you back up regularly.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old February 14th 09, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_3_]

"RVF" wrote in message

And Vista stores them here (where you want to copy them to):
drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outl ook

Umm no you don't. Particularly if Outlook has already created a pst file in
that location.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level