About Outlook and this newsgroup....

Old October 19th 07, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Default About Outlook and this newsgroup....and "customize" freezes.

Top post

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
news
well, you really aren't at risk of losing the pst, but copying them will
suffice...

Done deal. (just to be on the safe side). ;-)

You earlier mentioned you dual boot.

Correct.

Are you using the same office install
for both OS's (sharing the office files to save drive space)?That can be
problematic, especially if you installed an update in one OS but not in
another.

Negative. I have only one instance of Office XP installed and it has its
home in W98se.Thanks for considering that as a possible factor.

Cheers,... and thanks.
Roxana

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
Okie-Dokie...I'm now prepared for that eventuality (mdm, et al). g

Diane wrote: "... it's been forever since I used ol2002."

snip

Back to the issue at hand:
I suppose I'll be taking that plunge after a small repast (and exporting

/
backing-up my .PST files - I cannot afford to take any chances, but then
again, who can ? lol)

I'll post back when I've completed this "venture into the unknown". If
this
post gets buried in the morass here (More likely, than not), I'll still
reply herein (and the others which initiated this one will get also get

final post of the result, and only the result), but I may "PING" you
just
so you'll know how I / it fared.

Thanks for your returning to assist me.

Sincerely,
Roxana

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
yes, the most recently dated SRS is the one outlook is using.

I believe detect and repair may enable mdm et al, but can't say for

sure
as
its been forever since I used ol2002.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
Hi again Diane.

Ok, I googled and it has been made plain that the *.SRS files are
solely
related to the send / receive settings, so it's probably doubtful

that
re-naming it will make any difference as far as 'fixing' my

"customize"
problem. I have also deduced that the reason I have manifold

quantities
of
the .srs files must be due to having changed those settings on

several
occasions.

It is reasonable (?) to assume that the most recent one is the one

that
is
currently in use/ being applied for my current S-R setting and
therefore
would be the one which would be candidate for re-naming (were it
germane
this 'customize' problem).

I'll probably just proceed with "Detect and Repair" then, as the

*.SRS
rename appears to be a red-herring.
Hoping I don't need to re-disable all that MDM.EXE/ OSA.EXE/ Fast
stuff after that. But, if it repairs "customize", that's a small

price
pay.

Fingers crossed, and thanks...
Roxana.

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
Detect and repair should not undo anything - and its one of the

first
troubleshooting steps you should try. In the case of your symptoms,
the
most
obvious solution did not work (delete/rename outcmd.dat) so detect

and
repair is the next step. If you prefer grasping at straws, delete

or
rename
the *.SRS file for your profile. The symptoms for a corrupt SRS

don't
usually involve the customize dialog, but it does cause crashes when

you
access a menu (send and receive dialog)... so it may be worth trying
before
detect and repair and like outcmd, only takes a few seconds to test.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
snipped

Old October 19th 07, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

in-line
"Brian Tillman" wrote in message
Roxana wrote:

Now, what am I trying to find an answer to ? Here ya go Russ:
"customize" freezes - Outlook 2002 / repost: "customize" freezes -

Outlook 2002

Admittedly, I did *repost*.... after a two day wait - in the *first*
newsgroup I started in. Then, after two further days waiting, I
posted in "Outlook" newsgroup. That is precisely what I mean when I
said that one gets no follow-up to a question and process. If one
must wait two-days for every single query posited.... My word !

There are times when even the people most familiar with Outlook from their
day-to-day use don't know the answer to a question and that only the
developers could answer accurately. In those cases, you won't see any
response to a question.

Understood.

You also won't see the answer for days if the one
person in the world who has seen the problem before doesn't visit these
groups opr does so infrequently.

Understood.

How can you find fault with that?

I don't find fault with that. I find "fault" with getting an answer to a
post - in this case a re-post - and then waiting two days for any sort of
return reply. Now admittedly, that's not the first or only time I've seen
such happen, but in the case of these two Outlook newgroups (Outlook /
Outlook.General), I've just about never seen so many posts come into a
newsgroup, burying any previous posts to the very bottom of OE newsreader in
a matter of mere hours.

Therefore, based upon that, I still say this program is either highly
problematic/ this newsgroup is "understaffed" (with qualified peer-to-peer
non-MVP's and MVP's both) and that's it. Maybe it's too quirky a program to
have any number of persons who can know of and manage the wide variety of
issues that get presented. (and there sure seem to be a number of them. I
mean, there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts in a few days).

You made mention of some limiting factors, such as Operating system /
Outlook version / and particular issue, having a bearing on whether anyone
knows a possible solution (aside from the developer). OK.... I'll buy that,
to a limited degree. But, things beng what they are, I guess that unless one
is using WinXP and Outlook 2003(-- too old already ? - 2007, one is SOL. I
suppose if one is using Vista and Outlook 2007, one is also SOL.

These things will work "as soon as they've perfected them",.... and then
right after that, one will have an "antique" no-one will know how to fix
*when* a problem arises.

Out with the old and in with the new (but it's too new for anyone to know
what *can* go wrong; what *is* wrong; what is *buggy*; and what can be done
to fix any of it.)

Roxana
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 19th 07, 03:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Default About Outlook and this newsgroup....

Sorry, but none of the below apply, But then, you probably never saw my
first posts.

Subject: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
Monday, October 08, 2007 11:33 PM
Outlook. General newsgroup

Three days later:

Subject: repost: "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002
Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:15 PM
Outlook.General newsgroup

Three days following:
Subject:"Customize" Outlook Freezes
Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:32 PM
Outlook newsgroup

Typical text body my original posts follow:
My first post to Outlook.General
Monday, October 08, 2007 11:33 PM
paste
Outlook 2002/ Office XP/ Win98se

Might as well ask if there's a fix for the near constant freeze which occurs
when attempting to employ the menu item: Tools Customize.
This freezing issue always requires the most drastic measures to shut down
Outlook/Winword. I should add that the shutdown is never successful; always
resulting in a "Because Outlook was not closed properly...checking some
folder for problems". etc.

Thanking you for any suggestions.

Roxana
/paste

New post:

paste
My repost to Outlook.General
Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:15 PM
Repost - "customize" freezes - Outlook 2002 - from 3 days ago.

Outlook 2002/ Office XP/ Win98se

Might as well ask if there's a fix for the near constant freeze which occurs
when attempting to employ the menu item: Tools Customize.
This freezing issue always requires the most drastic measures to shut down
Outlook/Winword. I should add that the shutdown is never successful; always
resulting in a "Because Outlook was not closed properly...checking some
folder for problems". etc.

Thanking you for any suggestions. (this is one busy NG)

Roxana
/paste

Milly, would you be so kind as to explain to me what, where and how -
precisely - I'm errant in my posts ?

My third post to Outlook newsgroup
Sunday, October 14, 2007 4:32 PM
paste
Outlook 2002 /Word 2002 /Office XP / W98se

Perhaps they'll be an answer in this group instead of Outlook.General, where
this has sat - more or less - ignored, or in best case scenario, answered
ineffectively, more than two days ago. No return reply from this person
since then.

I don't mean to rile anyone with this "preface", but it's quite frustrating
to sit here and wait interminably.
N.B. - I waited for ~ 2 days before 'reposting' this question. I didn't
cross-post/multi-newsgroup post either.

I realize - and can plainly see - that the MS Outlook newsgroups are *filled
to the brim* with constant problems, but can't anyone Follow-up / Watch /
Flag any question they initially volunteer to reply to ? (even I know how to
do that)
If there's no follow-up, what's the point of initially "trying to help" ?

Thanks.
Roxana
/paste

Again, I must ask, would you be so kind as to explain to me what, where and
how - precisely - I'm errant in my posts ?

Thanks for stepping in with your insight.

Roxana

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
wrote in message
Common reasons why posts are not answered:

1. Posters omit Outlook version.
2. Posters omit clear description of problem, e.g., "Help, my Outlook will
not send!"
3. Posters use the subject line as the complete description.
4. Posters do not respond with requested information when asked by the
volunteers.
5. Posters p*ss off the volunteers by unnecessary usage of M$, Microsloth,
Microshills, Microsh*t, etc.
6. Posters begin by bashing the group/helpers/answers.
7. We all have personal lives that precludes hovering in these news groups
24/7.

Take your pick. Pay especial attention to number 6.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...865e9436e2afba

Old October 19th 07, 04:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

I am simply posting the most common reasons why posts go unanswered - it is certainly not boilerplate (although thanks for that idea) - it was a response to your posting/complaint/whatever about why your posts were not answered.

As for your previous posts, I have a full time job, try to be in bed by 11ish and don't have the time or inclination to post first thing in the morning - trust me, you would not want to trust my answers first thing in the morning. As for patrolling this news group, I try to do it 3 or 4 days a week. If your post goes unanswered by me, refer to the post by Brian - I have not run Win98 or Win98SE since Y2K. I tend to skip posts with platforms or programs I do not remember.

As for why I jumped in here, I tend to take it personally when the group and MVPs in particular are taken to task for not being at poster's beck and call. If you wanted immediate help, then you could have contacted Microsoft Product Support Services and paid for the support. Here, the support is free and you get what, and when, you pay for.

Old October 19th 07, 06:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

I'm not sure how I should respond to this post, but I'll try.inline

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote in message
I am simply posting the most common reasons why posts go unanswered

Yes, perhaps so, but I don't see any place where I've been in violation of
these "7 commandments". My initial posts which are exact copy/pastes,
complete in every detail, will testify to that.

- it is certainly not boilerplate (although thanks for that idea) -

You're welcome. However, it is to be hoped that it will be employed only in
such cases as those which truly warrant it.

it was a response to your posting/complaint/whatever about why your posts
were not answered.

Which was when ?
"About Outlook and this newsgroup....:" Wednesday, October 17, 2007 3:56 PM.
My first question:
"customize" freezes - Outlook 2002" Monday, October 08, 2007 11:33 PM

I'd hardly see it fit to condemn me for a post of "complaint" which was made
9 days+ after a modicum of replies - which also had my own return questions
posed to them (unanswered) were made. Am I to assume that posters outside of
the fold have no worth; no value as people who are posting to a newsgroup
for assistance ? That 9 days is asking for instant "at my beck and call"
gratification ? Not in my opinion, it isn't.

As for your previous posts, I have a full time job, try to be in bed by
11ish and don't have the time or inclination to post first thing in the
morning -

I can relate to that.

trust me, you would not want to trust my answers first thing in the morning.

I might also be inaccurate / hasty / cantakerous / subject to gross error,
and so-forth at such times as the rising of morning gloom.(BTDT). :-D

As for patrolling this news group, I try to do it 3 or 4 days a week. If
your post goes unanswered by me, refer to the post by Brian - I have not run
Win98 or Win98SE since Y2K. I tend to skip posts with platforms or programs
I do not remember.

Understandable, yet perhaps a bit hasty to unseat "the old" (IMO). But you
are entitled to your choices and doubtless, have/ had your reasons. However,
this may or may not fully apply for those who've stepped forth and
'volunteered" though. Similarly, I do realize all people have other things
to do.

As for why I jumped in here, I tend to take it personally when the group and
MVPs in particular are taken to task for not being at poster's beck and
call.

My original post / subsequent post / tertiary post are well spaced;
exhibiting patience, and an even keel (IMO).
My *final post* (this thread herein) is of a different tenor - granted. But
I didn't just jump in and demand service. The dates and tenor of every one
of my prior posts stand quite clear in that. In short, I don't believe my
stance or my method (up until this thread) demanded that any respondants be
"at my beck and call" (from dawn 'til dusk). I still don't 'demand"
anything. I am simply "calling it as I see it".

Incidentally, I'm not new to these newsgroups; I don't use MS CDO web-based
newsreader or Google. I use OE solely as a newsreader and have myself
posted 1000's of posts in other newsgroups here in MS and have helped many
persons thoughout the years. I have merely taken a hiatus for a year or so.

If you wanted immediate help, then you could have contacted Microsoft
Product Support Services and paid for the support.

Please, cut me some slack here; How could anyone posit "9 days in the
waiting" as a request for "immediate help" ?

Here, the support is free and you get what, and when, you pay for.

Yes, that's right... and it should be known that the '"fix", fixed nothing.
lol :-D (Not any reflection on Diane Poremsky, nor Jocelyn Fiorello. Both
are fine persons - in my humble opinion - and did what they could to
*help*.)

Now this that follows you can take however you wish to (and you should try
and understand that it is not my intent to direct this at *you* per se.)
In the final analysis, it doesn't matter. I'll not use "customize"; it is
customized as much as I think I need or want.
It *is* broken however, and remains broken, but it's just not worth this
much hassle or time to me. By the same token, I too do not "need to be
abused or mischaracterized" by people who are habitues or MVP's of
newsgroups created - by Microsoft - for the purpose of helping people to
solve problems with a given application (such as Outlook, in this instance),
simply because after a period exceeding 9 days, I called it as it is.

It is less troublesome to re-install the thing, if that be my need - and
would have consumed far less of my time, efforts, and energies (for *all*
concerned). AND, would have fixed it without being slammed or abused *en
masse* by an entire army of MS-MVP's who suddenly decided to make a cameo
appearance.... and whom, for the most part (but not entirely), seem to not
have had much in the way of answers or to offer any help... but merely
appeared to express their indignation. To "misquote", not clearly read my
post, or to state "W98", when that was not what I clearly stated I was
using.

I guess if I were using WinXP (and I do use WinXP AAMOF) with Outlook 2003/
2007, then the MS-MVP's might have a handle on it. But in view of the
planned obsolesence and short memory, most MS-MVP's cannot help with
"antiques". That doesn't speak very much for the appellation, except perhaps
to Microsoft corp., who will soon regard WinXP as antique and regard it as
unworthy and forgettable as well.... prodding MVP's to get on with the new
and junk the old.

Yes... this "thread" received plenty of attention. My first three garnered
relatively little. But then, when it comes to helping someone with a
Microsoft Windows 98 second edition and a Microsoft Outlook 2002 in a
Microsoft Office XP package, it seems that few - if any - Microsoft MVP's
know how to help a person to fix the thing. Many MVP's know how to appear
and state.... what ?

My sincere thanks do go forth to both Diane Poremsky (MS-MVP) and to Jocelyn
Fiorello (not an MS-MVP), for they did genuinely try to help.

*very truly and sincerely* - and not with any ill will towards you, Milly
Staples.
Roxana

With a degree of trepidation,,,,, Click.... Send

Old October 19th 07, 09:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

No trepidation needed (off work tomorrow and battling imponderable insomnia) - your thoughts are received in the vein they are offerred. As respected as are mine.

Old October 19th 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Roxana wrote:

I'd hardly see it fit to condemn me for a post of "complaint" which
was made 9 days+ after a modicum of replies - which also had my own
return questions posed to them (unanswered) were made.

And if you had spent only one or two days, hell, even two hours, in Google
Groups, EVERY SINGLE suggestion you've now received would have been evident
to you, since EVERY SINGLE suggestion you've received so far has been posted
NUMEROUS times in these Outlook newsgroups, since they're the most likely
solutions. It's really not our jobs to do your due dilgence for you.

In short, there is NEVER justification for complaining about the service you
receive from a newgroup, period.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 19th 07, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Tom [Pepper] Willett[_2_]

And, you are assuming that somebody *owes* you an answer.
They don't.