About Outlook and this newsgroup....

Old October 18th 07, 12:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Default About Outlook and this newsgroup....and "customize" freezes.

Roxana wrote:

Now, what am I trying to find an answer to ? Here ya go Russ:
"Customize" freezes / *re-post* "customize" freezes.

Admittedly, I did *repost*.... after a two day wait - in the *first*
newsgroup I started in. Then, after two further days waiting, I
posted in "Outlook" newsgroup. That is precisely what I mean when I
said that one gets no follow-up to a question and process. If one
must wait two-days for every single query posited.... My word !

There are times when even the people most familiar with Outlook from their
day-to-day use don't know the answer to a question and that only the
developers could answer accurately. In those cases, you won't see any
response to a question. You also won't see the answer for days if the one
person in the world who has seen the problem before doesn't visit these
groups opr does so infrequently. How can you find fault with that?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 18th 07, 12:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Roxana wrote:

Firstly, I clearly wrote W98se, and not W98. Try reading a bit more
carefully mate.

Secondly, I have had Office XP/Outlook 2002/Word 2002/ Excel and
Publlisher and W98se installed on what was a then brand new computer
and had no problems with software/OS from the jump-start.......

So, if you're trying to make some snide remark about some alleged
incompatibility between W98SE and Office XP / Outlook 2002, you'd
better run rabbits, eat dirt and bark at the moon, OK ?

The problem is not that anyone's disparaging your use of WIndows 98, it's
just that few of the people here USE that version at this point, so can't
investigate the problem. I did use Windows 98 for a long time, even after
most people I know had transitioned to Windows XP because I couldn't afford
a new PC at the time. The household budget just didn't allow it. Even
then, though, I was using a second-hand Office 97 that an acquaintance had
been going to throwing away, so I, for one, never had a configuration to
match yours and couldn't have answered if I had wanted. In those cases,
when someone doesn't know the answer, s/he doesn't post. Apparently, your
original question was one of theose imponderables the depths of which no one
could plumb. If you are, as you say, familiar with peer-to-peer newsgroups,
you'd know this and wouldn't have posted the rant.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 18th 07, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Roxana wrote:

I apologize for pestering like this, but before I proceed with that
*quick test* of *.SRS file renaming, is it commonplace to have
several (namely 4) .srs files for one profile ?

Total number of *.srs files are 9.
There a
3 Outlook.srs - (outlook.srs; outlook~1.srs; outlook~2.srs)
4 my name.srs - (my name.srs; my name~1.srs; my name~2.srs;
my name~3.srs)
2 another profile.srs - (another profile.srs; another
profile~1.srs)

The SRS file name matches the name of the mail profile, so you must have had
mail profiles named "Outlook" (three of them at various times), "my name"
(four of them at various times), and "another profile" (two of them at
various times), for a total of nine profiles over time, without having
cleaned up the files from the old ones.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 18th 07, 01:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Roxana wrote:

Back to the issue at hand:
I suppose I'll be taking that plunge after a small repast (and
exporting / backing-up my .PST files - I cannot afford to take any
chances, but then again, who can ? lol)

NEVER export to or import from a PST. You lose data. To back one up,
simply copy it to another location. If I were in your shoes, I'd also clean
out ALL the old support files from both the C:\Windows\Local
Settings\Application Data and the C:\Windows\Application Data folders., as
well as the mail profile keys under the registry (I believe it's
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles, but I don't have a Windows 98 system to check) and
create a new mail profile using the Mail applet in Control Panel.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 18th 07, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

well, you really aren't at risk of losing the pst, but copying them will
suffice...

You earlier mentioned you dual boot. Are you using the same office install
for both OS's (sharing the office files to save drive space)? That can be
problematic, especially if you installed an update in one OS but not in
another.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
Okie-Dokie...I'm now prepared for that eventuality (mdm, et al). g

Diane wrote: "... it's been forever since I used ol2002."
Truly, I'd like to upgrade to Outlook 2003 (but not beyond).... I could
surely use that 20 GB capacity over this easily exceeded 2 GB limit in
ol2002. (But alas, that's what I have, so...)

Back to the issue at hand:
I suppose I'll be taking that plunge after a small repast (and exporting /
backing-up my .PST files - I cannot afford to take any chances, but then
again, who can ? lol)

I'll post back when I've completed this "venture into the unknown". If
this
post gets buried in the morass here (kore likely, than not), I'll still
reply herein (and the others which initiated this one will get also get a
final post of the result, and only the result), but I may "PING" you
just
so you'll know how I / it fared.

Thanks for your returning to assist me.

Sincerely,
Roxana

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
yes, the most recently dated SRS is the one outlook is using.

I believe detect and repair may enable mdm et al, but can't say for sure

as
its been forever since I used ol2002.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
Hi again Diane.

Ok, I googled and it has been made plain that the *.SRS files are
solely
related to the send / receive settings, so it's probably doubtful that
re-naming it will make any difference as far as 'fixing' my "customize"
problem. I have also deduced that the reason I have manifold quantities

of
the .srs files must be due to having changed those settings on several
occasions.

It is reasonable (?) to assume that the most recent one is the one that

is
currently in use/ being applied for my current S-R setting and
therefore
would be the one which would be candidate for re-naming (were it
germane
this 'customize' problem).

I'll probably just proceed with "Detect and Repair" then, as the *.SRS
rename appears to be a red-herring.
Hoping I don't need to re-disable all that MDM.EXE/ OSA.EXE/ Fast
stuff after that. But, if it repairs "customize", that's a small price

pay.

Fingers crossed, and thanks...
Roxana.

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
Detect and repair should not undo anything - and its one of the first
troubleshooting steps you should try. In the case of your symptoms,
the
most
obvious solution did not work (delete/rename outcmd.dat) so detect and
repair is the next step. If you prefer grasping at straws, delete or
rename
the *.SRS file for your profile. The symptoms for a corrupt SRS don't
usually involve the customize dialog, but it does cause crashes when

you
access a menu (send and receive dialog)... so it may be worth trying
before
detect and repair and like outcmd, only takes a few seconds to test.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
snipped

Old October 18th 07, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F. H. Muffman

Default About Outlook and this newsgroup....

"Roxana" wrote in message
For a *single solitary program* that - for some reason - seems to
create a
landslide of posts, this newsgroup is "understaffed", to say the very
least.
Many/most questions slip into the void... unaddressed. If there are any
replies, one must wait until h*** freezes over for a follow-up to the
'boiler-plate answer' which miraculously gets supplied.

"I" have been around these MS newsgroups since ~2002 and never have I
experienced a more unsatisfactory result that I see these days - anno
2007 - in *these Outlook newsgroups*.

You are *more* than welcome to stick around and help other people too.

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome. :-) However, Outlook/Word is not my
forte.
Were it so, I'd gladly help.

OTOH, I *have helped and have *1000's* of posts* - most to help - and a
number of which I posted to receive help (which is how I started in the MS
newgroups - probably as many/most persons had).

Did you actually look into that, or are you just guessing randomly? Unlike
most people, I know the value of statistics. I also know of people who have
posted thousands of posts *this year alone*, let alone in previous years
where 1000+ in a month was not an irregular occurance.

I'm just a person who has volunteered much of my time in areas where I am
proficient and haven't an MVP 'ribbon or perks'. Don't bother using "find"
to locate me to verify my claim; I have had several identities over the
years.

Or would you rather complain about the service at a volunteer staffed
group
without being willing to help others as well?

Answered above. And, I don't need to be reminded that these MS newsgroups
are *all* volunteer staffed; that most helpful enthusiasts who frequent
the
myriad newsgroups lack possession of an MVP appellation. I didn't just
fall
off a turnip wagon, y'know.

Well, since, as you said, you've posted under multiple names, just how would
one be able to know that?

And you ? I see one post here and one in Outlook.General, today, though
I've
been dumping and compacting the tons of overburden posts just so I can
quickly and readily find if someone has returned to follow through on
their
"reply" to my one question.

Well, unlike you, I've always posted under this name. So feel free to look
beyond today, since you so snidely suggested I've never helped anyone here.

And if you would like to nitpick *any* of my attempts to help people, feel
free. In fact, feel free to let me know what newsgroups you're currently
active in so I could happily return the favor.

Also, if I might make a suggestion, if you want to quickly and readily find
your threads, just click in the little eyeglass column to Watch the thread,
or go to Message - Watch Conversation. You could then sort by Watched
threads or even just create a new View to just show you Watched
conversations. It's a great feature of OE, made to make dealing with large,
busy newsgroups easier.

--
f.h.

Old October 19th 07, 02:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Hello again Diane.

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on this, but I just returned from
the office a short while ago and proceeded to execute the "Detect and
Repair" process. Before starting that process, I first copied .pst's to
another directory elsewhere. I also emptied and then compacted "My Personal
Folders" in Outlook. After those preliminary safeguards were done, I ran
"Detect and Repair". It has now been done.

Results:
Unfortunately, "Detect and Repair" did not repair anything - as I suspected.
It did however re-install osa.exe, mdm.exe and probably also re-enabled
Fast-Search(ing ?), also just as I suspected . Whatever... It is as it is.
"Customize" remains broken.

"Detect and Repair" seemed to be the "method of choice" and I'm afraid to
ask if there are any other means by which this issue can be actually fixed -
short of a full re-install of Office XP (or at least Outlook), as they're
probably non-existent.

Thanks for your help. :-)

Regards,
[...]

"Roxana" wrote in message
No, Diane, I did not try "Detect and Repair" as yet.
I posted a return reply on 10/14/07 @ 7:26 PM to the original post

wherein
you had suggested that. There was no return reply to that.

You also asked about Profiles.

I suppose I must ask if such 'remedies' as "Detect and Repair" are known
and
tested solutions, or if we're just trying a guessing game with that. I

ask
this because I've had some experience (as I posted in original reply)
where
such "repairs" accomplish nothing but to un-do everything which wasn't
broken, without ever repairing the thing which was.

My question and remarks in my original reply to your reply were as
follows:
paste
Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:26 PM
Hello.

No, I did not try "Detect and repair". I'm customarily reticent to apply
any
of "MS repair" features (especially in IE. Don't know about how Outlook
[mis]behaves though). My experience with the few "repair" has been
unpleasant. Usually messes up all customisations; re-instates certain
aspects one desires not, etc. Has required old updates to be re-done,

bla
bla. Maybe Outlook isn't as bad, but it "worries/bothers" me. IF that's
the
only choice... and IF it will work, and not just make me travel down

that
entire path - for no fruit - OK. But, I'm reticent...

Yes, I tested in another profile.... Same exact symptom and result.

Thanks for your help.:-)

Roxana
/paste

Roxana

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
did you try detect and repair yet?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
I don't wish to be argumentative, but peer-to-peer newsgroups are

*not*
foreign to me. MS newgroups are not foreign to me. If they were, I

post
in
*all caps*... I'd crosspost immediately (in 1 minute or less)... I'd
"lose"
my post, not return, then post an identical one six times. Please

spare
me
that *inaccurate* assessment.

Now, what am I trying to find an answer to ? Here ya go Russ:
"Customize" freezes / *re-post* "customize" freezes.

Admittedly, I did *repost*.... after a two day wait - in the *first*
newsgroup I started in. Then, after two further days waiting, I

posted
in
"Outlook" newsgroup. That is precisely what I mean when I said that

one
gets
no follow-up to a question and process. If one must wait two-days for
every
single query posited.... My word !

Now, I realize you are not familir with my post and my method, but I
believe
I stated from the get-go what the problem was/ which version of

Outlook
is
in use, and even which OS it is being used in.

At the risk of being redundant, I've 1000's of posts in multitudes of
MS
newsgroups and I don't use the MS-CDO web-based newsgroup reader (or
whatever MS has now favored to replace that earlier monstrosity

with).
believed I supplied enough basically required info to give someone a
headstart on helping.

Thank you Russ.
Roxana

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
news It appears that the concept of peer to peer newsgroups is foreign to

you.
Please explain what part of that concept you do not understand so we

can
help with any misunderstanding you may have. The only posts that go
unanswered are those that contain too little information to permit a
response.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 19th 07, 02:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

top post

Whatever... sigh
Brian, almost the entirety of this thread has been totally inane. One thing
for certain, and I knew this would happen. Post a message of this sort and
all sorts of people come to "the rescue" ... of whatever.... Their
"dignified selves" / "Their hobby" ? "Their beloved blue-ribbon")

The fact remains that my initial post clearly stated What was wrong and what
version of Outlook in the subject line. I opened my post with a reiteration
of the problem / Outlook version / and operating system.Even so, there seem
to be some who were in such a hurry (but minutes had elapsed) to unload
their own *rant* that they either didn't read, or let their fingers on
keyboard jump ahead of their brain.

Thus far, I've had a few MVP's (and others) making all sorts of excuses and
their own rants and other nonsense stating the obvious, but inaccurate, as
far as my instance was concerned. For instance:
paste
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

Common reasons why posts are not answered:

1. Posters omit Outlook version.
--I clearly stated Outlook 2002 in my very first post, in the subject line.
2. Posters omit clear description of problem, e.g., "Help, my Outlook will
not send!"
--I stated most succinctly, "customize freezes", both in subject line and
in text body.
3. Posters use the subject line as the complete description.
--I wrote an exact summary of the problem in the text body.
4. Posters do not respond with requested information when asked by the
volunteers.
-- I not only returned in a timely manner, but I responded with whatever
was asked. Unfortunately, when I asked for any clarification or
supplementary information, I had to wait *two days* for each return
reply.... and that *only* after I waited two days with no reply whatsoever
and the made a *re-post* - and I said it was a re-post.
5. Posters p*ss off the volunteers by unnecessary usage of M$, Microsloth,
Microshills, Microsh*t, etc.
-- I used nothing of a sort.
6. Posters begin by bashing the group/helpers/answers.
-- I did not *begin by bashing*. I clearly asked a question and it was
ignored. It took a second re-post to get any answer at all, and then the
person disapperas for two days. It then took days on end to get any back and
forth on it. But, I knew that if I wrote this (because I grew fed-up the
boilerplate, etc.) that it would elicit exactly what it did.
7. We all have personal lives that precludes hovering in these news groups
24/7.
-- How unique....totally 'singular'.

Take your pick. Pay especial attention to number 6.
-- I submit, that those who have made such remarks, should pay especial
(sic) attention to the initial post which was written before jumping the
gun.
/paste

Where was Milly when the actual post and re-post was hanging in limbo ?
Nowhere...Probably hasn't even seen it. So, this smug post from her is
inaccurate and based solely upon some "boilerplate" excuse.
Just the same as someone who asks "Windows 98 ?" What the heck does that
have to do with anything ? (and for the last time, it's W98SE, not W98).

-------EOP-------------------------

Old October 19th 07, 02:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Roxana wrote:

I apologize for pestering like this, but before I proceed with that
*quick test* of *.SRS file renaming, is it commonplace to have
several (namely 4) .srs files for one profile ?

snipped

The SRS file name matches the name of the mail profile, so you must have

had
mail profiles named "Outlook" (three of them at various times), "my name"
(four of them at various times), and "another profile" (two of them at
various times), for a total of nine profiles over time, without having
cleaned up the files from the old ones.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Yes, thanks. After my own bit of research and deductive reasoning, I had
already arrived at that conclusion last night.

Old October 19th 07, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

in-line
Roxana wrote:

Back to the issue at hand:
I suppose I'll be taking that plunge after a small repast (and
exporting / backing-up my .PST files - I cannot afford to take any
chances, but then again, who can ? lol)

NEVER export to or import from a PST. You lose data. To back one up,
simply copy it to another location.

Which is exactly what I did, despite my having written "export /
backing-up".

If I were in your shoes, I'd also clean
out ALL the old support files from both the C:\Windows\Local
Settings\Application Data and the C:\Windows\Application Data folders.,

Yes.
as
well as the mail profile keys under the registry (I believe it's
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles, but I don't have a Windows 98 system to check)

Right; that is a non-existent key in W98se. But that's okay; I can find my
way about.
and
create a new mail profile using the Mail applet in Control Panel.

Right. Thanks.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Roxana
Perhaps now, after having done the "Detect and Repair" - which did nothing -
I'll give your suggestion a whirl.