About Outlook and this newsgroup....

Old October 18th 07, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Default About Outlook and this newsgroup....and "customize" freezes.

No, Diane, I did not try "Detect and Repair" as yet.
I posted a return reply on 10/14/07 @ 7:26 PM to the original post wherein
you had suggested that. There was no return reply to that.

You also asked about Profiles.

I suppose I must ask if such 'remedies' as "Detect and Repair" are known and
tested solutions, or if we're just trying a guessing game with that. I ask
this because I've had some experience (as I posted in original reply) where
such "repairs" accomplish nothing but to un-do everything which wasn't
broken, without ever repairing the thing which was.

My question and remarks in my original reply to your reply were as follows:
paste
Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:26 PM
Hello.

No, I did not try "Detect and repair". I'm customarily reticent to apply any
of "MS repair" features (especially in IE. Don't know about how Outlook
[mis]behaves though). My experience with the few "repair" has been
unpleasant. Usually messes up all customisations; re-instates certain
aspects one desires not, etc. Has required old updates to be re-done, bla
bla. Maybe Outlook isn't as bad, but it "worries/bothers" me. IF that's the
only choice... and IF it will work, and not just make me travel down that
entire path - for no fruit - OK. But, I'm reticent...

Yes, I tested in another profile.... Same exact symptom and result.

Thanks for your help.:-)

Roxana
/paste

Roxana

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
did you try detect and repair yet?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
I don't wish to be argumentative, but peer-to-peer newsgroups are *not*
foreign to me. MS newgroups are not foreign to me. If they were, I post

in
*all caps*... I'd crosspost immediately (in 1 minute or less)... I'd
"lose"
my post, not return, then post an identical one six times. Please spare

me
that *inaccurate* assessment.

Now, what am I trying to find an answer to ? Here ya go Russ:
"Customize" freezes / *re-post* "customize" freezes.

Admittedly, I did *repost*.... after a two day wait - in the *first*
newsgroup I started in. Then, after two further days waiting, I posted

in
"Outlook" newsgroup. That is precisely what I mean when I said that one
gets
no follow-up to a question and process. If one must wait two-days for
every
single query posited.... My word !

Now, I realize you are not familir with my post and my method, but I
believe
I stated from the get-go what the problem was/ which version of Outlook

is
in use, and even which OS it is being used in.

At the risk of being redundant, I've 1000's of posts in multitudes of MS
newsgroups and I don't use the MS-CDO web-based newsgroup reader (or
whatever MS has now favored to replace that earlier monstrosity with). I
believed I supplied enough basically required info to give someone a
headstart on helping.

Thank you Russ.
Roxana

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
news
It appears that the concept of peer to peer newsgroups is foreign to

you.
Please explain what part of that concept you do not understand so we

can
help with any misunderstanding you may have. The only posts that go
unanswered are those that contain too little information to permit a
response.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 18th 07, 01:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Firstly, I clearly wrote W98se, and not W98. Try reading a bit more
carefully mate.

Secondly, I have had Office XP/Outlook 2002/Word 2002/ Excel and Publlisher
and W98se installed on what was a then brand new computer and had no
problems with software/OS from the jump-start.......

So, if you're trying to make some snide remark about some alleged
incompatibility between W98SE and Office XP / Outlook 2002, you'd better run
rabbits, eat dirt and bark at the moon, OK ?

And for your info, I dual-boot W98SE-SP1 and WinXP Pro- SP2, so lay off with
your insinuation that I am in the stone age with my PC. (Isn't the fastest
on earth, but is a P4 2.0 GHz with 1 GB Sdram and two 500 GB HD-Ds)

And finally, but most importantly, you have clearly misunderstood. *period*

Goodbye.*plonk*

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
Just so I understand. This tantrum was all because of a post that was not
answered for a problem you encountered while running Windows 98?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"Roxana" wrote in message

Now, what am I trying to find an answer to ? Here ya go Russ:
"Customize" freezes / *re-post* "customize" freezes.

snipped
Thank you Russ.
Roxana

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
news It appears that the concept of peer to peer newsgroups is foreign to

you.
Please explain what part of that concept you do not understand so we
can
help with any misunderstanding you may have. The only posts that go
unanswered are those that contain too little information to permit a
response.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 18th 07, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

Detect and repair should not undo anything - and its one of the first
troubleshooting steps you should try. In the case of your symptoms, the most
obvious solution did not work (delete/rename outcmd.dat) so detect and
repair is the next step. If you prefer grasping at straws, delete or rename
the *.SRS file for your profile. The symptoms for a corrupt SRS don't
usually involve the customize dialog, but it does cause crashes when you
access a menu (send and receive dialog)... so it may be worth trying before
detect and repair and like outcmd, only takes a few seconds to test.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
[...]

Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
[...]

"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 18th 07, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Greetings Diane.
inline

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
Detect and repair should not undo anything - and its one of the first
troubleshooting steps you should try.

Ok... that's a bit more re-assuring, as regards the "D and R".
I'll follow up with that in a moment or two, after I check something else
out over here.

In the case of your symptoms, the most
obvious solution did not work (delete/rename outcmd.dat)

Correct; The re-naming Outcmd.dat offered no positive result.
so detect and
repair is the next step.

OK. Will that possibly "re-instate" OSA.exe, MDM.exe. and Fast search and
the like ? (Those are annoying, and in my case, have never proven themselves
useful for me)

If you prefer grasping at straws,
LOL

delete or rename
the *.SRS file for your profile. The symptoms for a corrupt SRS don't
usually involve the customize dialog, but it does cause crashes when you
access a menu (send and receive dialog)...

"access a menu" ? Any menu, or just simply the *send and receive dialog*
menu ? If the symptom of crashing only occurs with "send and receive
dialogue", then that ('corrupt .SRS) will probably be a fruitless one to
pursue, as "send and receive" menu dialogue performs perfectly. No issue
with that one. Only ""customize" causes any issue.

so it may be worth trying before
detect and repair and like outcmd, only takes a few seconds to test.

OK... I suppose that won't 'hurt".

Thank you for your assistance. I'll report back ASAP.

Respectfully,
Roxana

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
[...]

"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 18th 07, 03:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

I apologize for pestering like this, but before I proceed with that *quick
test* of *.SRS file renaming, is it commonplace to have several (namely 4)
..srs files for one profile ?

Total number of *.srs files are 9.
There a
3 Outlook.srs - (outlook.srs; outlook~1.srs; outlook~2.srs)
4 my name.srs - (my name.srs; my name~1.srs; my name~2.srs; my
name~3.srs)
2 another profile.srs - (another profile.srs; another profile~1.srs)

Thanks again,
[...]

"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 18th 07, 03:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Hi again Diane.

Ok, I googled and it has been made plain that the *.SRS files are solely
related to the send / receive settings, so it's probably doubtful that
re-naming it will make any difference as far as 'fixing' my "customize"
problem. I have also deduced that the reason I have manifold quantities of
the .srs files must be due to having changed those settings on several
occasions.

It is reasonable (?) to assume that the most recent one is the one that is
currently in use/ being applied for my current S-R setting and therefore
would be the one which would be candidate for re-naming (were it germane to
this 'customize' problem).

I'll probably just proceed with "Detect and Repair" then, as the *.SRS
rename appears to be a red-herring.
Hoping I don't need to re-disable all that MDM.EXE/ OSA.EXE/ Fast Search
stuff after that. But, if it repairs "customize", that's a small price to
pay.

Fingers crossed, and thanks...
[...]

"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 18th 07, 03:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

yes, the most recently dated SRS is the one outlook is using.

I believe detect and repair may enable mdm et al, but can't say for sure as
its been forever since I used ol2002.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Roxana" wrote in message
[...]

"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 18th 07, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roxana

Okie-Dokie...I'm now prepared for that eventuality (mdm, et al). g

Diane wrote: "... it's been forever since I used ol2002."
Truly, I'd like to upgrade to Outlook 2003 (but not beyond).... I could
surely use that 20 GB capacity over this easily exceeded 2 GB limit in
ol2002. (But alas, that's what I have, so...)

Back to the issue at hand:
I suppose I'll be taking that plunge after a small repast (and exporting /
backing-up my .PST files - I cannot afford to take any chances, but then
again, who can ? lol)

I'll post back when I've completed this "venture into the unknown". If this
post gets buried in the morass here (kore likely, than not), I'll still
reply herein (and the others which initiated this one will get also get a
final post of the result, and only the result), but I may "PING" you just
so you'll know how I / it fared.

Thanks for your returning to assist me.

Sincerely,

"Roxana" wrote in message
[...]

"Roxana" wrote in message

snipped

Old October 18th 07, 08:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Default About Outlook and this newsgroup....

Common reasons why posts are not answered:

1. Posters omit Outlook version.
2. Posters omit clear description of problem, e.g., "Help, my Outlook will not send!"
3. Posters use the subject line as the complete description.
4. Posters do not respond with requested information when asked by the volunteers.
5. Posters p*ss off the volunteers by unnecessary usage of M$, Microsloth, Microshills, Microsh*t, etc.
6. Posters begin by bashing the group/helpers/answers.
7. We all have personal lives that precludes hovering in these news groups 24/7.

Take your pick. Pay especial attention to number 6.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Roxana asked:

Old October 18th 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Roxana wrote:

And you ? I see one post here and one in Outlook.General, today,
though I've been dumping and compacting the tons of overburden posts
just so I can quickly and readily find if someone has returned to
follow through on their "reply" to my one question.

Muffman has been answering questions here for some time now and is an
accurate poster as well as frequent.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]