How do I remove a .PST file from Outlook2003... that has already been physically deleted... COMPLETELY?!

Old January 25th 06, 11:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
ship

Default How do I remove a .PST file from Outlook2003... that has already been physically deleted... COMPLETELY?!

Microsoft Outlook2003 (Upgrade version - from Outlook2000)

Hi

I cant get MS Outlook to 'forget' a .PST file!

Background

I have been moving .PST files around and have even managed to upgrade
my
my mailbox.pst file to the new Outlook2003 format. I thus have a whole
new
..PST file into which I have dragged all my emails (using Control/drag
for
some mysterious reason but it seemed to work!). My new .PST file
which is called "Personal_Folders.pst" is the default file for
everything.

But when I came to let go of the old mailbox.pst file, which shows up
as "My Personal Folders2" I CAN'T!

I have now physically deleted the mailbox.pst file but I cant convince
Outlook2003 to accept the fact that it has gone!

i.e. When I right-click on what is the old mailbox.pst file
(called "My Personal Folders2"), it Outlook2003 an error message of
"the set of folders could not be opened".
Not surprising because the file in question has been deleted!

But if I go to File = Data File Management, "My Personal Folders2"
isn't
even mentioned!

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

I even tried adding in archived "mailbox.pst" file in the hopes that
when I deleted
it it would take out the existing reference to "My Personal Folders2".
But it
doesnt! No, it simply addsa a SECOND reference to "My Personal
Folders2"...

Any suggestions?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old January 25th 06, 12:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You corrupted your profile by migrating data incorrectly.
Create a new profile.
When you do, be sure you follow the instructions on how to migrate PST files
in Outlook 2003:

Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

Old January 25th 06, 12:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
ship

Crikey - how do I "create a new profile" exactly?

(Yes I was for or less trying to follow the instructions on that page
in any case)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old January 25th 06, 12:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=out2003

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

Old January 25th 06, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
ship

Thanks Russ

I have to say that the instructions DIDNT match the options I was
given on Control Panel - Mail but
I think I've managed to get there in the end.

(Is it because I am still running Windows2000, rather than WindowXP...)

It also moaned at me that it couldnt install the Business Contacts
Manager
for Outlook2003 thing correctly and went into a look restarting and
restarting.

To be honest I'm not completely clear what the later actually is or how
it
works (it came on a CD with msOffice2003) but the error messages have
stopped and the thing is still visible on the LH side...

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=out2003

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

Old January 25th 06, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

BCM is an add-on that provides some CRM functions for Outlook. You must have
installed it at some point:

I agree neither the KB article on migrating data or creating profiles is
entirely clear or entirely accurate, but they usually suffice. About the
only portion that is flat-out wrong is when they tell you to copy your old
PST file to Outlook's default location. You should copy it anywhere BUT that
location. If you copy it to the default location, there's a good chance
you'll overwrite another PST file and corrupt your profile all over again.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"ship" wrote in message

[...]