Embedding a link to a local document in an email

Old October 1st 07, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Robert Perez

Default Embedding a link to a local document in an email

I'd like to send an email to a distribution list on our domain (MS Server
2003, Exchange 2003, Active Directory) and include a *link* to a Word
document that is on a shared volume on the local domain. Everyone maps the
shared directory to Z:, it's our place for local file serving.

I want a user to be able to read the email, and click the link to open a
copy of the Word document. I would rather *not* have to attach it to the
email sent to everyone on the list, but that is just one reason I need this
solution, there are other reasons. The question, then, is: Is there a way to
accomplish the above request?

Thanks.

Old October 1st 07, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Robert Perez wrote:

I'd like to send an email to a distribution list on our domain (MS
Server 2003, Exchange 2003, Active Directory) and include a *link* to
a Word document that is on a shared volume on the local domain.
Everyone maps the shared directory to Z:, it's our place for local
file serving.
I want a user to be able to read the email, and click the link to
open a copy of the Word document. I would rather *not* have to attach
it to the email sent to everyone on the list, but that is just one
reason I need this solution, there are other reasons. The question,
then, is: Is there a way to accomplish the above request?

Specify your link as a UNC and enclose it in less-than, greater-than signs:
\\Server\Share\Folder Level 1\Folder Level 2\etc\File . You only need the
enclosing is there are spaces in the UNC. This is what works for us.
You could also try
file://z:\Folder%20Level%201\Folder%20Level%202\etc\File
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old October 1st 07, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Durkee

Just include "file:" followed immediately by the file path in your message,
as in File:Z:\document.doc. This will work as long as there are no spaces in
that path. If there are spaces, you're best off using HTML format, selecting
Insert Hyperlink, and choosing File: as the type.

-Peter

Old October 5th 07, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Robert Perez

"Peter Durkee" wrote in message
Just include "file:" followed immediately by the file path in your
message, as in File:Z:\document.doc. This will work as long as there are
no spaces in that path. If there are spaces, you're best off using HTML
format, selecting Insert Hyperlink, and choosing File: as the type.

Thanks to both of you who responded!