Hang when receiving signed e-mails

Old September 26th 07, 06:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nils Magnus

Default Hang when receiving signed e-mails

Hello,

When I receive signed e-mails and select them in the inbox, Outlook
hangs for 6-7 seconds before I get the message "This item cannot be
displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents".
While I open the e-mail by double-clicking it, it appears in the reading
pane as well.

Any ideas why it hangs, and how I can fix it? (and preferably also be
able to read the mail in the reading pane).

Thanks.

Regards,
Nils Magnus
Old September 26th 07, 12:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Nils Magnus wrote:

When I receive signed e-mails and select them in the inbox, Outlook
hangs for 6-7 seconds before I get the message "This item cannot be
displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents".
While I open the e-mail by double-clicking it, it appears in the
reading pane as well.

This sounds like you're receiving encrypted messages, which will not display
in the Reading Pane and will display the message you see. Digitally-signed
messages generally do not display that message and will display in the
Reading Pane. Is the icon a red ribbon or a blue lock?

Any ideas why it hangs, and how I can fix it? (and preferably also be
able to read the mail in the reading pane).

It's taking the time to decrypt it, perhaps.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old September 26th 07, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nils Magnus

Hi Brian, thanks for replying.

When I receive signed e-mails and select them in the inbox, Outlook
hangs for 6-7 seconds before I get the message "This item cannot be
displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents".
While I open the e-mail by double-clicking it, it appears in the
reading pane as well.

This sounds like you're receiving encrypted messages, which will not
display in the Reading Pane and will display the message you see.
Digitally-signed messages generally do not display that message and will
display in the Reading Pane. Is the icon a red ribbon or a blue lock?

No, they're only signed. The icon is a red ribbon. As far as I know, I
would have to have my own public key in order for the sender to be able
to encrypt mail for me? (and I don't)

Any ideas why it hangs, and how I can fix it? (and preferably also be
able to read the mail in the reading pane).

It's taking the time to decrypt it, perhaps.

This I strongly doubt, but could it be that it's trying to find
revocation information for the certificate? Either way, it's extremely
unpractical - any suggestions (other than asking my contacts to stop
sending signed e-mails) are welcome!

Regards,
Nils Magnus
Old September 26th 07, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Nils Magnus wrote:

No, they're only signed. The icon is a red ribbon. As far as I know, I
would have to have my own public key in order for the sender to be
able to encrypt mail for me? (and I don't)

You are correct in this last statement. I really can't say, then, why the
Reading Pane doesn't display the message. We use signed and/or encrypted
messages extensively where I work and I've not seen your symptoms before.

This I strongly doubt, but could it be that it's trying to find
revocation information for the certificate? Either way, it's extremely
unpractical - any suggestions (other than asking my contacts to stop
sending signed e-mails) are welcome!

Well, the standard suggestions apply, naturally: make sure you're not
scanning messages with any add-ins and try running Outlook in safe mode to
see if that makes any difference.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old September 26th 07, 08:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nils Magnus

Brian Tillman wrote:
No, they're only signed. The icon is a red ribbon. As far as I know, I
would have to have my own public key in order for the sender to be
able to encrypt mail for me? (and I don't)

You are correct in this last statement. I really can't say, then, why
the Reading Pane doesn't display the message. We use signed and/or
encrypted messages extensively where I work and I've not seen your
symptoms before.

This I strongly doubt, but could it be that it's trying to find
revocation information for the certificate? Either way, it's extremely
unpractical - any suggestions (other than asking my contacts to stop
sending signed e-mails) are welcome!

Well, the standard suggestions apply, naturally: make sure you're not
scanning messages with any add-ins and try running Outlook in safe mode
to see if that makes any difference.

Running in safe mode, it doesn't hang at all. However, the signed
messages still won't display in the reading pane. It's not a big problem
for me that I have to open the signed mail in order to read it, but
my main problem is the hanging... could it be an add-in? The only
third-party add-in I'm using is Adobe Acrobat, but I don't know how that
would affect reading signed mails.

Nils Magnus
Old September 27th 07, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Nils Magnus wrote:

Running in safe mode, it doesn't hang at all. However, the signed
messages still won't display in the reading pane. It's not a big
problem for me that I have to open the signed mail in order to read
it, but my main problem is the hanging... could it be an add-in? The only
third-party add-in I'm using is Adobe Acrobat, but I don't know how
that would affect reading signed mails.

The PDF Maker portion of Acrobat (you are saying you have Acrobat and not
Acrobat Reader installed, correct?) has been known to cause issues with
Outlook. It should be easy to check. Uninstall the PDF Maker portion of
Acrobat or try disabling the add-in and see if it makes a difference.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]