What is the best email to use with Outlook 2007?

Old September 19th 07, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
bretsharon

Default What is the best email to use with Outlook 2007?

I have heard that gmail POP works best with Outlook 2007. What does the
community think?
Old September 19th 07, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
bretsharon

Note too that I use Yahoo desktop search X1, which says it does not index POP
and no other web baised email, like hotmail. Nonetheless, it does index
outlook 2007, but still it won't index hotmail.

Old September 20th 07, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
PD43

"bretsharon" wrote:
I have heard that gmail POP works best with Outlook 2007. What does the
community think?- Hide quoted text -

Old September 20th 07, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

bretsharon wrote:

I have heard that gmail POP works best with Outlook 2007. What does
the community think?

Here's my opinion: gmail works OK with any POP client, including Outlook
2007 (or 2003 or 2002 or 2000 or 98, but not 97). So do most (all?)
paid-account POP servers. IMAP access to a free AOL account (or any
paid-account IMAP service) also works OK for most Outlook versions except
for Outlook 97. (Outlook 97 can't handle authenticated SMTP.) Hotmail,
even the free accounts, work well, too, with the current Outlook Connector
for Hotmail.

Note too that I use Yahoo desktop search X1, which says it does not index
POP
and no other web baised email, like hotmail. Nonetheless, it does index
outlook 2007, but still it won't index hotmail.

X1 Professional Client (aka Yahoo Desktop Search) is a US $50 product,
according to the web site. It does scan Outlook folder files, according to
the features list. Since Outlook keeps Hotmail data in folder files just
like it does POP data, depending on your Hotmail transport (straight HTTP or
Outlook Connector), I would think X1 would be able to index Hotmail data as
well, provided you've synched Outlook with Hotmail recently. It will also
handle Exchange, with the available Exchange connector.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]