Newsgroups in Outlook 2007

Old September 12th 07, 06:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Hector C.

Default Newsgroups in Outlook 2007

By now, I understand that Outlook 2007 doesn't support natively news
groups. What I don't understand is why MS would leave that feature out
(consistently through all Outlook versions).

Any insights/comments/rumors/guesses on why Outlook 2007 doesn't support
news groups?

++Hector C.

PS. If Thunderbird had a better calendar ...
Old September 12th 07, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"Hector C." wrote in message
By now, I understand that Outlook 2007 doesn't support natively news
groups. What I don't understand is why MS would leave that feature out
(consistently through all Outlook versions).

Any insights/comments/rumors/guesses on why Outlook 2007 doesn't support
news groups?

Because ALL versions of Outlook have been aimed at, (and the vast majority
of installations are in) commercial enterprises. Employers don't want or
need to have employees wasting their time on newsgroups...

Old September 12th 07, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Hector C. wrote:

By now, I understand that Outlook 2007 doesn't support natively news
groups. What I don't understand is why MS would leave that feature out
(consistently through all Outlook versions).

I suspect they leave it out because Outlook Express (and now Windows Mail)
seems a perfectly adequate newsreader. Moreover, there are plenty of free
ones. If MS were to include NNTP natively in Outlook, there'd be even more
cries of "monopoly".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old September 12th 07, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F. H. Muffman

"Gordon" wrote in message
By now, I understand that Outlook 2007 doesn't support natively news
groups. What I don't understand is why MS would leave that feature out
(consistently through all Outlook versions).

Any insights/comments/rumors/guesses on why Outlook 2007 doesn't support
news groups?

Because ALL versions of Outlook have been aimed at, (and the vast majority
of installations are in) commercial enterprises. Employers don't want or
need to have employees wasting their time on newsgroups...

And those commercial enterprises have generally been running Exchange, which
always had the ability to pull in newsgroups, it was doubly pointless.

Heck, I've always been a little sad they added RSS functionality.

--
f.h.

Old September 12th 07, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

This question has been floating around for years and Google Groups could
undoubtedly give you hours of reading on the subject.

However....

* Bloat - no sense adding NNTP support to Outlook when Outlook Express or
Windows Mail or any number of other NNTP readers do the job fine.
* Supply/Demand - only a small (but vocal) minority of Outlook users seem to
want it and so MS chooses to devote their finite development resources on
other features.
* Future of NNTP - as web forums continue to evolve I think there is a sense
that NNTP is a technology with a limited future.

My opinions only, not an official MS position, of course.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

Old September 12th 07, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Flindt

Ben M. Schorr, MVP wrote at 12.09.2007 :
* Future of NNTP - as web forums continue to evolve I think there is a sense
that NNTP is a technology with a limited future.

On the other side, a lot of MS Blogs, MS Websites and the Vista Help
refer to the MS Newsgroups, not to MS Forums. :/

OK, I never understand why MS use Forums AND Newsgroups (some about the
same content), but this is another question.

Peter

Old September 12th 07, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F. H. Muffman

"Peter Flindt" wrote in message
* Future of NNTP - as web forums continue to evolve I think there is a
sense
that NNTP is a technology with a limited future.

On the other side, a lot of MS Blogs, MS Websites and the Vista Help
refer to the MS Newsgroups, not to MS Forums. :/

OK, I never understand why MS use Forums AND Newsgroups (some about the
same content), but this is another question.

Because some people won't use newsgroups. And some people won't use forums.
--
f.h.

Old September 13th 07, 12:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Hector C.

The irony is that this is a newsgroup about a program that doesn't (but
should?) support newsgroups.

++Hector C.

Old September 13th 07, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F. H. Muffman

"Hector C." wrote in message
* Future of NNTP - as web forums continue to evolve I think there is a
sense
that NNTP is a technology with a limited future.

On the other side, a lot of MS Blogs, MS Websites and the Vista Help
refer to the MS Newsgroups, not to MS Forums. :/

OK, I never understand why MS use Forums AND Newsgroups (some about the
same content), but this is another question.

Because some people won't use newsgroups. And some people won't use
forums.

The irony is that this is a newsgroup about a program that doesn't (but
should?) support newsgroups.

Pretty sure that's not ironic. I mean, heck, 98% of the products Microsoft
makes don't support newsgroups, but there are newsgroups about them.

And I have to agree that Outlook *shouldn't* do NNTP.

--
f.h.

Old September 13th 07, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

Forums are easier for people seeking help who don't plan to hang around
forever... they come in, ask a question and leave until they have another
problem.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email: