new user to Outlook 2002

Old September 10th 07, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
April

Default new user to Outlook 2002

Hi

I have migrated all email addresses to Outlook 2002 and found that the
"response" time of Outlook is much slower than that of Outlook Express. By
this I mean there is a longer period of "refresh time" (not sure how else to
describe this) of 3-5 seconds that I have to wait before the emails are
displayed when I use Outlook. Why is this slower, and is there some way of
speeding this up?

Please note that my main sevice provider email addresses default to the
"Inbox" under "Outlook Today" but the Hotmail only defaults to a root
directory under "Archive Folders" and "Outlook Today". Is this normal
behaviour and setup?

I look forward to your help.
Thanks in advance.

Old September 11th 07, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

Outlook uses extended mapi, OE used simple mapi - so its going to be faster
with some accts types.

Hotmail is a server side acct and those messages will be in it's own folder
set.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old September 11th 07, 08:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
April

The problem I am facing is that whenever I click on the Hotmail account, the
whole screen seems to refresh and "move" sideways (not quite sure how to
explan) in place at the left hand side of the window pane. This is not easy
on the eye as in OE, it simply just displays the new emails (which Outlook
with main service provider).

Do you have a solution at all or advise? Would you suggest sticking with OE
because of this reason above?

Old September 12th 07, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

do you have the most recent updates for outlook?

see http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/hotmail.htm for an explanation

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"April" wrote in message
The problem I am facing is that whenever I click on the Hotmail account,
the whole screen seems to refresh and "move" sideways (not quite sure how
to explan) in place at the left hand side of the window pane. This is not
easy on the eye as in OE, it simply just displays the new emails (which
Outlook with main service provider).

Do you have a solution at all or advise? Would you suggest sticking with
OE because of this reason above?

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
Outlook uses extended mapi, OE used simple mapi - so its going to be
faster with some accts types.

Hotmail is a server side acct and those messages will be in it's own
folder set.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old September 13th 07, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
April

I took a look at the 1st suggestion and it suggests "Add a new folder named
"Hotmail Inbox" to your default pst and set a folder homepage for it...". I
had already setup the Hotmail account but I not know if it's in my Default
pst folder. The reason is that it appears at the root rather than as a
subdirectory of my default mailbox (I hope I've explained this correctly).
If I right-click on the Hotmail account folder then goto PropertiesHome
Page, the 'Address' field is greyed out. When I click on the root of the
Hotmail account, "The Page cannot be found" is displayed.

Also the link mentions : "If you have a *.pst or Exchange mailbox in your
profile (in addition to the hotmail folders), you can create a folder home
page for a folder in a pst or mailbox to view the Hotmail Inbox created from
the view control code below. (You cannot change the home page for any
hotmail folder.) View Control code. Paste the following code in notepad and
save as hotmail.htm, set the file to be a home page."

I am a bit confused because earlier it mentions that you can change the
Homepage but then states you cannot change the homepage for a hotmail
folder. It also mentioned pasting the code into notepad and save as
hotmail.htm but which directory should it go in? It states 'set the file to
be a home page' but how is this done?

I look forward to hearing again from you.
Kind regards.

Old September 14th 07, 03:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

AFAIK (and its been years since I used ol2002) - most of those fixes no
longer work because of security issues (that's why the page is archived).
you'll need to live with the flashing or use OE.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old September 14th 07, 11:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
April

Oh dear that's a shame as I wanted to use just one email client

Are there any other suggestions at all...other than go back to OE.