Grouping by Date and then "In Folder" in Outlook 2003

Old September 7th 07, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
ajkessel

Default Grouping by Date and then "In Folder" in Outlook 2003

Variations on this question have come up a few times in this
newsgroup, and as best I can tell what I want to do is impossible, but
I thought I'd just verify:

I want to view all mail sent/received in a given time period (e.g.,
this week). I'd like it to be grouped *first* by day of week (but not
time sent), and *second* by the folder the message is in. That way, I
could open up any particular day, and see all the emails received that
day grouped together by folder ("in folder" field).

The problem seems to be that to do this sort of custom sorting/
grouping, you can't use the defaults set up by Arrange By--Date.
Instead, you need to Arrange By--Custom. But once you choose Group
items by "Received" or "Sent" in the custom view, it is no longer
grouped by day of the week, but by the precise time the message was
received, which is really a worthless way to group messages since you
typically have no more than one email per "group."

Am I missing something? Is there some workaround or third party plugin
that would accomplish this goal?