open backup .pst files on a DVD

Old August 17th 07, 02:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SMITTYD

Default open backup .pst files on a DVD

I am using outlook 2003 as my primary e-mail editor. I have backed up the
personal folder to my hard drive and copied the files to a DVD. When I try
to open the data files on the DVD while in outlook to inspect them I get an
access denied error box that contain the following message: File access is
denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file
E:\OUTLOOK BACKUP\e-mail 2_06to3_07.pst This only transpires when trying to
access the DVD backup copy not the hard drive or the flash drive copy. I can
copy the DVD files back to the had drive and gain access. I would appreciate
any feedback concerning this issue. Thanks, SMITTYD
Old August 17th 07, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mary

You cannot open the files on the dvd itself or outside of Outlook. You must
copy to your hard drive and then open Outlook and select File, Open OL Data
File and select the copied file.

Old August 17th 07, 02:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SMITTYD

"Mary" wrote:

You cannot open the files on the dvd itself or outside of Outlook. You must
copy to your hard drive and then open Outlook and select File, Open OL Data
File and select the copied file.

"SMITTYD" wrote:

Thank you Mary!
I have another question if you happen to read this. Why can I open a copied
data file that is copied to a flash drive and not open one copied to a DVD?

thanks again, SD

Old August 17th 07, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

Because OL requires full read/write access to a pst and a cd/dvd is read
only.
If you copy a pst from cd/dvd to a drive you then have to modify the file
attributes to remove the read only flag, before you can open it in OL

Old September 13th 07, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jann

I followed this and it worked! I had backed up a bunch of files because this
system wants to get funky on me and I needed to back up important stuff. The
only problem is that the .pst file I had on CD was 9 days old so I lost all
those days of mail, but at least I got my Outlook back! BTW, the only other
attribute is Hidden and I was hoping that would work and it did! THANK YOU

Jann