Passwording Outlook 2002

Old August 11th 07, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roberta

Default Passwording Outlook 2002

I have set a password for opening Outlook (through data management
diaglogue). However, it only works when the computer is first started or I
log out. Is there any way to lock it when it gets closed during a computer
session? Have a sibling who is visiting and I don't what her to read my
emails, but allow her access otherwise.. Thank you.

Old August 11th 07, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Ensure Outlook is completely closed when you are done using it - use
Ctrl+Alt+Del to check task manager for any running instances of outlook.exe
and kill the process.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

news I have set a password for opening Outlook (through data management

Old August 11th 07, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vanguard

"Roberta" wrote in message news
I have set a password for opening Outlook (through data management
diaglogue). However, it only works when the computer is first started
or I log out. Is there any way to lock it when it gets closed during a
computer session? Have a sibling who is visiting and I don't what her
to read my emails, but allow her access otherwise.. Thank you.

The password is on the .pst file that you open (which contains your
local message store). You are prompted only once when the PST is
opened. It is only on opening that file that you are prompted for a
password. Exit Outlook so a reload of Outlook will have to reopen that
PST file so you then get prompted again.

So just why are you allowing anyone else to *share* your own login?
Give them their own Windows login. Then they get their own message
store instead of using yours. Since they are "visiting", why do they
even have to use your local e-mail client. Have them use the webmail
interface to their own mailbox.

Old August 12th 07, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roberta

She is using a webmail site for her own. I just want to keep her out of
mine, in case she gets nosy.
So far, none of the suggestions have worked. I even tried shutting down
Office in taskmanager, but when I start Outlook again, there is no password
protection.
Perhaps I should set her up separately.
Thanks for the help.

Old August 13th 07, 10:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vanguard[_2_]

"Roberta" wrote in message ...

"Vanguard" wrote ...

"Roberta" wrote ...

[...]

Under an NT-based version of Windows, every user should get their own
account (and most should limited accounts).

Old August 13th 07, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roberta

Using WIN XP Pro SP2 - set up a limited user account for her, but when I log
on as her (no password), I can still get into every file on my computer. I
thought limited meant the user can't see anything but what they put on the
computer?
"Vanguard" wrote in message
"Roberta" wrote in message ...

"Vanguard" wrote ...

"Roberta" wrote ...

Old August 13th 07, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vanguard[_2_]

"Roberta" wrote in message
"Vanguard" wrote in message
"Roberta" wrote in message

"Vanguard" wrote ...

"Roberta" wrote ...

[...]

Each user gets their own user profile path for document files (it's
under %userprofile%; just enter "%userprofile%" sans quotes into the
address bar in Explorer). When you create account (but only after you
login under that account the first time), a new user profile folder
gets created. It's possible that permissions have been changed to
allow the Everyone group access to your user profile files. Admins
can see them all. Who can read and/or write a file depends on
permissions. There are LOTS of folders and files where the Everyone
group can do whatever they want. After all, if Everyone weren't allow
permission to the C:\ path than no one could do much on their
computer. Use Start - Help and Support to read up on permissions.

Go to "C:\Documents and Settings" and right-click on each of your user
profile folders. I'm assuming that you haven't moved your user
profile to elsewhere. Under the Security tab for properties on the
profile folders, who is listed as having access?

In Outlook, look at the path to your local message store (i.e., the
..pst file). Right-click on the root node in the tree list,
properties, advanced, and check the path. Then go check permissions
on that file and the folder it is in. Maybe you configure Outlook to
use the same message store .pst file for both accounts. I don't know
where you created the .pst file or what are the permissions on it.

Old August 14th 07, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Roberta

Thank you for the info. None of the user folders are "shared" (I only see a
sharing tab, not a security tab). However, I've decided to just stay with
the password since she let's me know ahead of time when she would like to
use the computer, so I have time to reboot etc.
Again thank you.
"Vanguard" wrote in message
"Roberta" wrote in message
"Vanguard" wrote in message