Poor performance from Outlook 2007 against Exchange

Old July 18th 07, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
James P. Clark

Default Poor performance from Outlook 2007 against Exchange

I have been struggling to get Outlook 2007 to state of usefulness against my company's Exchange server. So far, the poor performance renders it absolutely unusable. I run Outlook 2003 (on Windows XP Pro) on a different computer against the same Exchange server with no problems, using the server-based mailbox. With Outlook 2007 it will take over 10 seconds to bring up an email message, usually going into "(Not Responding) mode" with a "Outlook is trying to retrieve..." popup on the taskbar. I'm running under Windows Vista Ultimate with the latest patches obtained for Vista and Office 2007 via Windows Update. I've turned off RSS feeds.
--
Please remove all UPPERCASE letters in the reply email address!
Old July 19th 07, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
James P. Clark

I tried all of the following:
Diabled Add-ins
Ran Help-Office Diagnostics
Turned off RSS feeds

None of these improved the performance, but I did find the solution and will post it here for the benefit of others. It was not related to Outlook 2007 at all, but rather the new TCP/IP stack in Windows Vista. From this helpful site:
http://www.roundtripsolutions.com/bl...ive-is-broken/
I found this tip:

Mike Bisson has posted a comment on Tim Anderson's blog that offers a fix for Outlook 2007 performance issues when running on Vista:
Go to Programs - Accessories and right click on command prompt and select "run as administrator"

Then type in the following:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

This action brought the performance level of Outlook 2007 to that of what I was used to with Outlook 2003. Good luck to all with this problem!