"The certificate's CN Name does not match the passed value."

Old June 13th 07, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SteveK

Default "The certificate's CN Name does not match the passed value."

Recently my ISP sent out an email saying that I am supposed to change my
email settings
from pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com to pop.att.yahoo.com
from smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com to smtp.att.yahoo.com

They also requested that I set up SSL on ports for pop and smtp. I did that
and found that I couldn't get outgoing mail to work. I was not even able to
get it to work when I switched back the smtp server to original setting. In
the process of trouble shooting I installed another email client to see if
it was Outlook that was causing the problem. When Eudora opened it asked if
I wanted to make it the default email program and I said no. It didn't end
up working with any of the settings that I put it in. So I closed it and
opened Outlook and then Outlook asked me if I wanted it to be the default
and I said yes. After that Outlook smtp started working, EXCEPT that now it
always opens a window when it is going to send anything over the smtp that
says:

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could
not be verified.
The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value.
Do you want to continue using the server?"

And I say yes. But it doesn't remember the setting and I get the same
message about the CN name the next time I open Outlook.

One more thing: During the trouble shooting process, thinking that I had a
corrupted cerificate I did go into IE Options and in the Content tab I
selected "Clear SSL state". I can't remember whether I started getting the
CN name error message before or after I did that.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Old June 14th 07, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SteveK

Can anyone recommend a different microsoft newsgroup that might be more
appropriate for asking this question?

Thanks,
SteveK

Old June 15th 07, 04:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SteveK

I have one more symptom to go along with the problem.

I am getting a message when Outlook starts up:

"The data file 'Archive Folders' was not closed properly. This file is
being checked for problems."

Could this have something to do with the CN certicate not being saved?

and how can I fix the data file problem?

SteveK

Old June 15th 07, 12:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

SteveK wrote:

I have one more symptom to go along with the problem.

I am getting a message when Outlook starts up:

"The data file 'Archive Folders' was not closed properly. This file
is being checked for problems."

Could this have something to do with the CN certicate not being saved?

Most likely not. It's usually the result of Outlook closing abruptly and
not performing a proper close of the PST.

and how can I fix the data file problem?

The only way to find out is to discover why Outlook closed irregularly.
--
Brian Tillman