import messages from outlook express to outlook 2003

Old May 29th 07, 11:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
honig2sassi

Default import messages from outlook express to outlook 2003

Our computer had to go off and be repaired, so before it went I saved all of
the email messages and the address book from Outlook Express to a USB and
they are there in the form of DBX files.

When we got the computer back, all of the programs had been wiped and we now
have Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. I need to access these files and
addresses, but find myself unable to do so - I am unable to import them into
Outlook 2003. I have gone through some of the posts in some of the discussion
groups and tried to follow what was advised, but have not been successful.
Any suggestions on how to get my messages now on my desktop in a folder into
Outlook 2003?? I really need to access these files.
Thanks
honig2sassi
Old May 29th 07, 12:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]

I think the first thing you need to do is to get OE to recognize the files.
You might find more info here about that:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

Old May 29th 07, 12:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}

1st - Restore the Data to Outlook Express:
How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data

Then open Outlook and Import from Outlook Express
File Import & Export
Import from another Program or file
Outlook Express ..

.....follow the bouncing ball
--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}

Old May 29th 07, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}" wrote in message
1st - Restore the Data to Outlook Express:
How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data

Then open Outlook and Import from Outlook Express

NO! Not for emails! That changes every "Modified date" field to the date of
import.
The OP must export FROM OE to Outlook in order to preserve the modified
date.

You can certainly import the addressbook that way......

Old May 29th 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

[...]

As Vince says, once you have all your data in Outlook Express, then in OE do
File-Export-Messages. That will automatically export all your messages to
Outlook, keeping all the received/sent dates as appropriate. Do NOT import
from within Outlook, as all your sent/received dates will change to the date
of import.....

HTH

Old May 29th 07, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}

Thanks for the correction ...
another one to watch out for.
--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}

Old May 29th 07, 01:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}" wrote in message
Thanks for the correction ...
another one to watch out for.

YW! Nothing's ever as simple as it first looks, is it? :-)

Old May 29th 07, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
honig2sassi

Thanks for your replies - I was able to get the addresses and the emails into
outlook express, but now seem to have a problem with OE in that I cannot send
and receive messages.
Thanks again for the advice!
Old May 30th 07, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}

No... :-(
....but it -should- be...
( if only the code cutters would fix old bugs instead of creating new ones
.... )

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}