OutLook Newsgroups A virus choking the life out of my e-mailboxes.

Old May 17th 07, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Glenn Fortin

Default OutLook Newsgroups A virus choking the life out of my e-mailboxes.

When I first opened outlook I was asked if I would like to see the
Microsoft Newsgroup . I so clicked yes and I instantly became subscribed to
all 2400 odd groups.

After a few days I noticed I was getting quite a few letters . I tried
eliminating them and unsubscribing and stuff like that . I gave up after
awhile . Now much later I get messages from my server that my box is full
.. After a long search I finally come to realize my problem is coming all the
thousands of messages in the newsgroup in my older Mac machine.

Once again I tried deleting these messages ..... but I can't get rid of
them . Even though I am unsubscribe I still get them flooding in any
available space I make in deleting my more valued e-mails..

This Microsoft Newsgroup feature is a virus. Please help me to get rid of
all these letters and stop getting more . I am so fed up of this problem
that I had even considered writing to everyone of these writers telling them
if they want to stop having problems do what I did , BUY A MAC. At least
then you would sooner or later do me a favour and take off your lists.

Please please please help me . Tell me how to delete all of these
letters , not just one by one but all of them ZAP just like that. And them
how to stop them from coming in by the hundreds.

Desperately,

Glenn

Hopefully I will have enough space left in my server's e-mail box to receive
your answer.

Old May 17th 07, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F.H. Muffman

Glenn,

The first problem I can see is that you're using Outlook Express for the
Mac, which isn't actually handled in this newsgroup. That said, since
you're obviously a bit upset, let me try and help out and clarify some
stuff.

First, newsgroups shouldn't be taking up space in your email account. It's
a completely different thing. Just because you're accessing the newsgroup
from the same program does not mean they come from the same place. Does
your ISP provide you with a web interface for your mail? Do you see the
messages there as well?

If you only want to unsubscribe to newsgroups:
1. Click on your news account's icon in the folder index (left side of
Outlook Express window).
2. A list of newsgroups should show up.
3. Select the newsgroups you would like to remove and go to Edit -
Unsubscribe.

If you want to remove the entire News Server:
1. Go to Tools - Accounts
2. Click the tab marked 'News'
3. Select the news account and delete it. I don't have the UI in front of
me so I can't tell you the exact step, but it should be obvious.

--
f.h.

Old May 17th 07, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Glenn Fortin wrote:

When I first opened outlook I was asked if I would like to see the
Microsoft Newsgroup . I so clicked yes and I instantly became
subscribed to all 2400 odd groups.

Outlook cannot access newsgroups. Perhaps you mean Outlook Express.
Moreover, a newsreader won't subscribe you to all the newsgroups. Finally,
why would you ever click Yes to a question like that?

I am so fed up of
this problem that I had even considered writing to everyone of these
writers telling them if they want to stop having problems do what I
did , BUY A MAC.

I think the problem lies not with the computer, but with the operator of it.
--
Brian Tillman