(2007) Excel macro blocks Outlook???

Old April 26th 07, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Default (2007) Excel macro blocks Outlook???

See the link in my signature. It addresses a serious performance issues
with PSTs/OSTs that are 1 GB or bigger, but I would personally recommend
everyone to install it.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Outlook 2007 Performance Update: http://pschmid.net/blog/2007/04/13/105
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote in message
Are you running the Outlook Performance Update already?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]

I have no idea what that is. Was it part of Windows Update? I've had no
problems with Outlook 2007 otherwise... performance-wise anyway-- other than
this Excel problem.
I'll research this update.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Old April 26th 07, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
C. Moya

I have confirmed this issue on at least two machines. And it is easy to
reproduce.

Create a VBA macro with a simple Do-Loop that will tie up Excel.
Example:
Public Sub TestPerf
Do
'do nothing
Loop
End Sub

Start the macro. While it is running, go to your Outlook window. Create a
New message. Close the message. See Outlook hang.

This problem isn't limited to just "macros." Anytime another Office app
begins a time-consuming process it seems to block other Office apps in some
way or another.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"C. Moya" wrote in message
All other programs respond fine. The CPU isn't really hit hard because
the bottleneck is the vpn connection to the database. I did (quick and
dirty) try an empty Do-Loop in Excel to see if the same thing happened.
It didn't. Outlook responded just fine (eventhough, ironically, CPU was
at 100%).

I will try to experiment some more and isolate the problem...

But, I do know for a fact that I've seen this at other times.... although
I've never paid enough mind to make a note of exactly when. For instance,
Access will also block other Office apps. It seems that under some
circumstances, Office 2007 apps are very sensitive to each other. I'll
try to experiment some more

P.S.
(this issue is now a big deal for us.... I can't have my employees not
use Outlook just because they're pulling info the database into Excel....
it's bad enough that Excel's MDI crippled window already blocks access to
their other open workbooks).

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com
"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote in message
Could it just be that the macro forces Excel to take 100% of the CPU and
hence nothing is left over for Outlook to run with? Have you watched the
CPU consumption of the Excel and Outlook processes during the execution
of the macro? One way to determine whether it's a CPU issue, is to
reduce the Excel process to the lowest priority possible while the macro
is running and to see whether Outlook is usable then.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Outlook 2007 Performance Update: http://pschmid.net/blog/2007/04/13/105
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"C. Moya" wrote in message
:

"Roady [MVP]" t
wrote in
message ...
Blocks Outlook in what way? From starting up?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

No, from working period. Outlook is loaded up. It freezes (neither its
main
window nor any open message windows respond). I expect Excel to be
frozen
while the macro runs (the macro runs against a database and fills some
cells.... it takes some time), but not Outlook!!!

I haven't tested to see if other Office apps are affected too. In any
case,
this is a real downer. Office 2003 and prior didn't do this.

Old April 26th 07, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

I don't have a repro here. Sure Outlook was considerably slowed down due
to Excel being a CPU hog, but it remained usable and it didn't hang.
Note that I have the performance update installed.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

:

Old April 26th 07, 08:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook.general
C. Moya

Were you able to start a new message and close it?

Anyway, I will install the performance update tonight and see if it solves
the problem.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

:

:

Old April 26th 07, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

I tested this against an Exchange server (Exchange 2003 SP2, LAN connection
to my Exchange server).

As an added bonus I tested it when that computer was running a full
anti-virus scan on the hard drive.

Things were slower in Outlook with the Excel process using 99% of the CPU
certainly, but there was no hang in Outlook and I was able to open a new
mail item, type in it and then close it with no problems.

I have the Outlook speed-up hot fix installed on that Outlook 2007 setup.
The test was run on a Windows XP SP2 machine. I didn't test on any of my
Vista setups.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

Old April 29th 07, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
C. Moya

The update does resolve the problem. Thank you for pointing me to it.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

:

Old April 30th 07, 03:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Do you have your virus scanner integrated with Outlook or email in
general? If yes, switch that off, as it only costs performance but
doesn't add any protection.
If you disconnect the VPN and then try to repro it, can you still repro
it?
How about if you leave the VPN connected, but open Outlook in safe mode
(start, run, "outlook /a"). Still a repro?
If you open Outlook in safe mode and disable your virus scanner (all of
it, not just the Outlook integration), still a repro?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

:

Old April 30th 07, 01:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
C. Moya

I don't have a virus scanner turned on. And testing revealed that the
problem had nothing to do with VPN. Anytime Excel was "blocked" (an empty Do
Loop macro, for instance), Outlook would be blocked as well. (actually it
would block only when you tried to do certain things... like close a new
message window).

The Performance Update solved the problem tho.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

: