how to change a field for many contacts?

Old April 11th 07, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Talal Itani

Default how to change a field for many contacts?

Hello,

Is it possible to change a field for many contacts, at the same time.
Basically, select many contacts, and change a field?

Thank you.
T.I.

Old April 11th 07, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F.H. Muffman

Talal Itani wrote:
Is it possible to change a field for many contacts, at the same time.
Basically, select many contacts, and change a field?

View the contacts folder in a table view, group by the field you want to
change. Edit one contact to have the value you want. Drag and drop the
rest of the ones you want to change over to that grouping.

If you need more explicit instructions, let us know what version of Outlook
and what field you're trying to change.

--
f.h.

Old April 11th 07, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F.H. Muffman

Talal Itani wrote:
View the contacts folder in a table view, group by the field you
want to change. Edit one contact to have the value you want. Drag
and drop the rest of the ones you want to change over to that
grouping. If you need more explicit instructions, let us know what
version of
Outlook and what field you're trying to change.

I am using Outlook 2003, and trying to change a user-defined field.

Open the Contacts Folder that has the contacts you want to change.
Go to View - Arrange By - Current View - Define Views
Click New.
Name the view whatever you want.
Type of View should be table.
Can be used in, the default is fine.
Click Ok.
Click Group By.
At the bottom of the box, for Select available fields from, select User
defined fields in folder.
In Group Items By, select the user defined field.
Click ok, ok, apply view.
If one of the contacts does not yet have the field set to the desired value
you wish to change all the others to, open up a contact and change the
field.
Drag the contacts you want to change to the other grouping, testing with one
first to ensure that what the result is is what you want.
--
f.h.

Old April 11th 07, 04:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Talal Itani

Thank you for the information. I import a mailing list into Outlook. I
have a note field, in which I insert the date in which the mailing list was
imported. I have another note field, in which I put the source of the list.
I need to batch change these two fields, for all the selected records. I
tried a drag and drop as you suggested, but it did not work.

Old April 12th 07, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F.H. Muffman

Talal Itani wrote:
Is it possible to change a field for many contacts, at the same
time. Basically, select many contacts, and change a field?

View the contacts folder in a table view, group by the field you
want to change. Edit one contact to have the value you want. Drag
and drop the rest of the ones you want to change over to that
grouping. If you need more explicit instructions, let us know what
version of
Outlook and what field you're trying to change.

Thank you for the information. I import a mailing list into Outlook.
I have a note field, in which I insert the date in which the mailing
list was imported. I have another note field, in which I put the
source of the list. I need to batch change these two fields, for all
the selected records. I tried a drag and drop as you suggested, but
it did not work.

Yeah, a note field wouldn't be changeable that way. A simple text field
should work for this, however, as would a date field.
--
f.h.