Norton Antispam, Outlook and non standard POP3 and SMTP ports

Old April 7th 07, 05:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
cgmsys

Default Norton Antispam, Outlook and non standard POP3 and SMTP ports

I had two windows XP computers,

1 - xp home, outlook 2003, NIS 2006, Norton antispam
2 - xp home, outlook 2002, nis 2005, Norton antispam

Comcast just changed the incoming and outgoing ports to nonstand ports
(ie not 25 and 110).

As soon as I made the change to oulook, I was getting an message when
outlook tried to load. The only way to get outlook to load properly
was to disable the Norton antispam add on.

My suspicion is that the NIS/NAS/OUTLOOK combo does not work with
ports other than the standard pop3 and SMTP ports.

I did get all of the latest updates for NIS and both systems are fully
patched.

Has anyone run into this?

Is there a solution?

I'd appreciate any ideas

thanks

chris

Old April 7th 07, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Muddle

"cgmsys" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had two windows XP computers,

1 - xp home, outlook 2003, NIS 2006, Norton antispam
2 - xp home, outlook 2002, nis 2005, Norton antispam

Comcast just changed the incoming and outgoing ports to nonstand ports
(ie not 25 and 110).

As soon as I made the change to oulook, I was getting an message when
outlook tried to load. The only way to get outlook to load properly
was to disable the Norton antispam add on.

My suspicion is that the NIS/NAS/OUTLOOK combo does not work with
ports other than the standard pop3 and SMTP ports.

I did get all of the latest updates for NIS and both systems are fully
patched.

Has anyone run into this?

Is there a solution?

I'd appreciate any ideas

thanks

chris

My guess would be you have to customize Outlooks program control in NIS.
Open NIS, Highlight the firewall, click configure and you should see a
program control tab. Scroll down and highlight Outlook and choose modify
then add the incoming and outgoing nonstandard ports.
I do this because I don't like HTML in e-mail so I customize NIS to block
Outlooks use of ports 80, 8080, 8088 and so forth then set NIS so Outlook
can only use ports 110 and 25.
Another way to do this is remove all references to Outlook in the program
control tab. Open Outlook after the new ports are configured and when NIS
opens a dialog box choose always permit Outlook to use those ports.
http://www.pcflank.com/fw_rules_db.htm
The above link has firewall rule sets for most standard applications if you
manage to block something you shouldn't.