machines?

Old February 15th 07, 10:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jim3975

Default machines?

What does "only on this machine" mean in rule description . Does it refer to
different accounts? I work on one computer (part of a LAN) and do not use an
exchange changer. Might the reason be that I have re-imported an old pst
(archive) file?
When checking mail, Outlook also seems to check al my account three or four
times; is this perhaps a related problem?
Thanks.

Old February 15th 07, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

it refers to different computers. It's present even if you only use one
computer.

How many accounts are in your profile? Are they all on difference servers?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old February 15th 07, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jim3975

Thanks for your reaction.
I have three different accounts in my profile, on three different servers.
It appears that some of my rules are for 'this' and some for another
"machine" I don't understand how this has come about.
J.

Old February 16th 07, 12:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

it has nothing to do with the accounts - it's just a normal thing outlook
adds to rules. Is the rule working?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"jim3975" wrote in message
Thanks for your reaction.
I have three different accounts in my profile, on three different servers.
It appears that some of my rules are for 'this' and some for another
"machine" I don't understand how this has come about.
J.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
it refers to different computers. It's present even if you only use one
computer.

How many accounts are in your profile? Are they all on difference
servers?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old February 16th 07, 10:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jim3975

It did not and when I click 'Run rules now' I don't even see the rule in the
list (whereas I do see it in the normal listing of rules, with 'for other
machine' added).
I made the rule again and now it works. Actually what I think is that the
problems is/was, is that I have two Personal Folders directories (presumably
because of importing a second .pst file) and that I made the original rule
based on an existing mail that was in my second Personal Folders. Outlook
seems to 'think' that this is a different computer. Would that be possible?
(Problem seems more or less solved, but I am still curious on what was going
on...)

Old February 16th 07, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

jim3975 wrote:

Actually what I think is that
the problems is/was, is that I have two Personal Folders directories
(presumably because of importing a second .pst file) and that I made
the original rule based on an existing mail that was in my second
Personal Folders. Outlook seems to 'think' that this is a different
computer.

Entirely possible because the name of the computer on which the PST was
created can be stored in the PST for certain data in the PST (like rules).
Never import from a PST. There's no reason, it loses data, and can corrupt
your mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 19th 07, 09:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jim3975

Never import from a PST. There's no reason, it loses data, and can
corrupt
your mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman

Actually I think I asked here before importing that pst, but I might have
been not clear.
What would be the best way to import stuff from old outlook back-ups?
What would be the way

Old February 19th 07, 08:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

jim3975 wrote:

Actually I think I asked here before importing that pst, but I might
have been not clear.
What would be the best way to import stuff from old outlook back-ups?
What would be the way

FileOpenOutlook Data File is the way to access the old data. Then copy
from the original folders to the new ones. See this:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 20th 07, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jim3975

FileOpenOutlook Data File is the way to access the old data. Then copy
from the original folders to the new ones. See this:

You mean the difference is in importing versus opening the pst file? Is it
anyhow possible to merge the contents of a backup file into an existing Pst
file?

Old February 20th 07, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

jim3975 wrote:

You mean the difference is in importing versus opening the pst file?
Is it anyhow possible to merge the contents of a backup file into an
existing Pst file?

Yes, that's the difference. Drag-and-drop merges well enough, unless
multiple items refer to the same object (i.e., two contact records for one
contact), then it's open one and edit.
--
Brian Tillman