Can Anyone Recommend Backup Software for Outlook?

Old January 19th 06, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Peter D

Default Can Anyone Recommend Backup Software for Outlook?

There's lots out there that will backup, restore, copy, migrate, etc. All
good stuff. But here's the kicker - it has to backup while Outlook is open.
If it can backup over a network as well, that would be sweet. All I've been
able to find that can do the job and is reliable is the Veritas product at a
whopping $800 US. Too rich at that price.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Old January 19th 06, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Frankster

"Peter D" [email protected] wrote in message
There's lots out there that will backup, restore, copy, migrate, etc. All
good stuff. But here's the kicker - it has to backup while Outlook is
open. If it can backup over a network as well, that would be sweet. All
I've been able to find that can do the job and is reliable is the Veritas
product at a whopping $800 US. Too rich at that price.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Where is your mail store? What format?

-Frank

Old January 19th 06, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
jeridbohmann

Use this link. It's free and MS makes it. When you close Outlook it will back
up according to how many days you have it set and yes it will backup where
ever you tell it to (network).

Old January 19th 06, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Peter D

"Frankster" wrote in message
"Peter D" [email protected] wrote in message
There's lots out there that will backup, restore, copy, migrate, etc.
All good stuff. But here's the kicker - it has to backup while Outlook is
open. If it can backup over a network as well, that would be sweet. All
I've been able to find that can do the job and is reliable is the Veritas
product at a whopping $800 US. Too rich at that price.

Where is your mail store? What format?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you mean where is the PST,
etc. It's on the local HD.

The workstations are networked, so the thought is to regularly backup to the
server across the network or to a locla folder and then use a batch file or
local backup routine to copy to the server at intervals.

Old January 19th 06, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Peter D

"jeridbohmann" wrote in message
Use this link. It's free and MS makes it. When you close Outlook it will
back
up according to how many days you have it set and yes it will backup where
ever you tell it to (network).

While it's useful (I use it), it fails the 'kicker'. :-)

Old January 19th 06, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
jeridbohmann

I see what you're saying, but according to Veritas it doesn't seem to work
for them either (Veritas Forum). I guess there could be a way, but I don't
see how backing up an "in use pst" would work or even be reliable.

http://forums.veritas.com/discussion...sageID=4412502

Old January 19th 06, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Brian Tillman

Peter D [email protected] wrote:

There's lots out there that will backup, restore, copy, migrate,
etc. All good stuff. But here's the kicker - it has to backup while
Outlook is open.

Not possible if you use a PST. As long as OUtlook is running the PST is
opened for exclusive read/write access and no backup program can reliably
make a copy of any file opened that way.
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 19th 06, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
[email protected]

Hello,

Try using Mobiliti's(www.mobiliti.com) product Continuity@work. It is
designed to backup outlook pst files even when they are open. The first
time backup has to be a closed pst full copy. Next time onwards you can
leave the pst open and it will do an incremental backup. You can
download a free trial copy from their website. Its easy to setup and
use and comes with loads of good features.

Good luck!

Old January 19th 06, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
jaf

Hi Peter,
It may be simpler to create a personal archive folder that is stored on the
server (or remote machine on your network if you don't use a server)
Its all controlled by your archive settings.

--
John
johnf202 at hot mail dot com

Old January 20th 06, 03:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Peter D

"jaf" wrote in message
Hi Peter,
It may be simpler to create a personal archive folder that is stored on
the server (or remote machine on your network if you don't use a server)
Its all controlled by your archive settings.

I thought of that, but there are two issues:

1) I haven't field-tested it,but I recall there was a problem backing up an
"in use" PST file even if it was on the server. I can fiddle with the file
settings, but the PST backup becomes corrupted (makes sense if Outlook
writes to the original while it's being copied) making it useless.

2) I've heard there are reliability issues with Outlook PSTs over a network,
that they can become corrupted (even if not backing them up). I've not found
any hard evidence -- or any explanation that makes sense! -- but I'm not
willing to take the risk with a PST that could exceed 500M of data.

Essentially, the backup software has to be able to handle backing up a file
with record/field locking. It's much like backing up an open database. The
backup software has to be able to let the database software know it is
copying that part of the database and not to change it until it's finished.