Can Anyone Recommend Backup Software for Outlook?

Old January 20th 06, 04:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Frankster

Default Can Anyone Recommend Backup Software for Outlook?

Where is your mail store? What format?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you mean where is the
PST, etc. It's on the local HD.

Well, I was asking if your server was Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or whatever. If
you are using a PST file your server is using POP3.

The workstations are networked, so the thought is to regularly backup to
the server across the network or to a locla folder and then use a batch
file or local backup routine to copy to the server at intervals.

Well, it doesn't sound like you want to backup a server. You want to backup
your PST mail store. Outlook is a client, not a server.

As others have pointed out, normally you cannot backup a PST file if it is
in use. However, some of the third party suggestions sound interesting.
I've never tried any of 'em myself. I just copy the PST while it is not in
use for a backup.

-Frank

Old January 20th 06, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Peter D

"Frankster" wrote in message
Where is your mail store? What format?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you mean where is the
PST, etc. It's on the local HD.

Well, I was asking if your server was Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or whatever.
If you are using a PST file your server is using POP3.

The workstations are networked, so the thought is to regularly backup to
the server across the network or to a locla folder and then use a batch
file or local backup routine to copy to the server at intervals.

Well, it doesn't sound like you want to backup a server.

Quite (I didn't say I did)

You want to backup your PST mail store.

Quite. I did say that I did -- though I didn't use the term "mail store".

Outlook is a client, not a server.

Quite. Though a distinction that doesn't seem to provide anything useful.
:-)

Old January 20th 06, 06:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Frankster

Peter, here is your initial post to which I responded... see comments in
line...

-------------
There's lots out there that will backup, restore, copy, migrate, etc. All
good stuff. But here's the kicker - it has to backup while Outlook is open.
If it can backup over a network as well, that would be sweet. All I've been
able to find that can do the job and is reliable is the Veritas product at a
whopping $800 US. Too rich at that price.

Any suggestions welcomed.
---------------
Well, it doesn't sound like you want to backup a server.

Quite (I didn't say I did)

You message tittle said specifically that you wanted backup software for
Outlook. You never said exactly what you wanted to backup. Could have been
Outlook itself. If you want to backup your mailbox, the methods differ
depending on what type of mailbox you have. I don't care if you call it a
mail store or a mailbox or whatever. But calling it Outlook doesn't work.

You want to backup your PST mail store.

Quite. I did say that I did

No Peter, you did not.

Outlook is a client, not a server.

Quite. Though a distinction that doesn't seem to provide anything useful.
:-)

You might want to read the subject of your post again and see if you can
tell what it says you want to backup.

Also, I took your "Any suggestions welcomed" literally. Shouldn't I have?

-Frank

Old January 20th 06, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Peter D

"Frankster" wrote in message
Dear Frank
My apoligies if my somewhat tongue in cheek response offended. It was
unintentional. I realize I could have worded the subject line better, but in
my small defnese others understood what I meant. I'll work on trying to be
clearer in the future. I didn't understand your first response and the term
"mail store" wasn't understood by me. Regardless, I do appreciate all the
input received and it looks like the mobilit product will do the job. I'll
let people know how things progress with this product so others can benefit
from my experiences.

Old January 20th 06, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Frankster

"Peter D" [email protected] wrote in message
"Frankster" wrote in message
Dear Frank
My apoligies if my somewhat tongue in cheek response offended. It was
unintentional. I realize I could have worded the subject line better, but
in my small defnese others understood what I meant. I'll work on trying to
be clearer in the future. I didn't understand your first response and the
term "mail store" wasn't understood by me. Regardless, I do appreciate all
the input received and it looks like the mobilit product will do the job.
I'll let people know how things progress with this product so others can
benefit from my experiences.

I'm glad that you found something that will work. My questions were designed
to ferret out the information you ultimately provided in your responses
(i.e. PST file). No problem.

-Frank

Old January 21st 06, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook.program_addins
Brian Tillman

wrote:

Try using Mobiliti's(
www.mobiliti.com) product Continuity@work. It is
designed to backup outlook pst files even when they are open.

Considering how Outlook accesses PSTs, I'd have to see ample evidence that
this works.
--
Brian Tillman